Changing Meter.

Level 6
    Hello, everyone! I hope you're all doing well.

I have just installed solar panels (7.4kw) and batteries (6.4kwh) and would like to move to a tariff with a good night rate so we can charge the batteries and EV if we need to. I have spoken to Eon about this and they've told me I need to go back to an old economy 7 meter which the Smart Meter will no longer work with. This feels like I'm taking a step backward regarding technology when really I want to move forward!

I have had 3 different answers talking to 3 different people from Eon over the last few days and have even been given 2 completely different prices for moving back to the old meter. They couldn't even tell me what I would be paying at night, they had to check someone else's tariff with the same postcode. It seems their whole system needs updating.

Has anyone else had experience with something similar?

I am currently on Next Flex with only one same price available during the day and night. This is why I need to change because the plan is to be totally off-grid during the day.

Hope you can help!

King regards
    Squirrel
  • 27 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 92
    Best Answer
    @Squirrel

You need an export meter. Either a completely separate meter with a separate MPAN, or a combined Import/Export smart meter, which should be capable of E7 as well.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 43
    Hi @Squirrel

My advice would be to do your research on other suppliers such as Octopus, particularly if you have an EV.
    Level 92
    @Squirrel

What type of smart meter do you have? It is my understanding that SMETS2 meters can be easily converted to dual rate/Economy 7 meters by the simple expedient of having the dual rate setting 'pushed' to the meter remotely by Eon/DCC. This is one of the defined standards of the newer meters is that they can be single or dual rate right out of the box, just requiring a remote change of setting.

It works the other way too. Economy 7 meters can be reverted to single rate meters just as simply.

Last edited by retrotecchie; 08-11-22 at 19:49.
    Level 6
    Hi @Squirrel

My advice would be to do your research on other suppliers such as Octopus, particularly if you have an EV.

Thanks, Andy.

I have enquired about changing to Octopus and Octopus said I need a SMETS2 for changing to 'Intelligent Octopus' and I have a SMETS1. They told me to ask Eon if I could have a SMETS2 which I asked about, Eon told me they didn't provide SMETS2. Quote in email from from Eon "We currently do not replace SMETS1 Smart meters with SMETS2 however I have noted your account so that when we do start, we will get in touch with you."

I asked Octopus if I was a new customer couldn't they just set everything up that I need and they said no. The person I spoke to didn't sound like they wanted to help me. I was running out of patience and decided to stick with Eon but I feel like I'm taking a step back like I said before. It makes no sense, and to be honest I don't think they know exactly what is going on themselves. Always getting put on hold so they can 'check' what answer to give me.
    Level 6
    @Squirrel

What type of smart meter do you have? It is my understanding that SMETS2 meters can be easily converted to dual rate/Economy 7 meters by the simple expedient of having the dual rate setting 'pushed' to the meter remotely by Eon/DCC. This is one of the defined standards of the newer meters is that they can be single or dual rate right out of the box, just requiring a remote change of setting.

It works the other way too. Economy 7 meters can be reverted to single rate meters just as simply.

Thanks for the info, Retro.

I have SMETS1 and was told my Eon I can't have a SMETS2.

Why do they have to make it so complicated!? I just want the cheapest night rate without going back to the 20th century.
    Level 92
    @Squirrel

I hear you. SMETS1 were obsolete in 2016 but they were still installing then in 2019. If it has been migrated onto DCCs network, and it still works as a smart meter, then they are under no obligation to change it. If you want Economy 7, you will need a dual rate meter. Simple as. If they agree to give you Economy 7, you will need a meter change anyway.
    Level 6
    @retrotecchie

Yes, they have agreed to give me a new meter so I can have the day and night rate. They sent me this message today:

Below are two options of when your night rate/off peak rate would come into play, this is the same for every day of the week.
    0151 - 0030-0730 Off Peak
    0244 - 0000-0700 Off Peak

I don't know what the difference is though, apart from the 30 minute time difference. Again, they tell you these things but give you no explanation. I replied to the email and asked them what the difference is and the reply (from a different member of staff) was:

I can confirm that there is a different in the unit rates you pay for the day and night meter, as during the off-peak times you will be charged less per kwh and during the peak times you will be charged the normal rates per kwh.

I know this already! That wasn't my question! 🙄
    Level 92
    @Squirrel

The difference in times is set by your local DNO, I think, not by your supplier. You still get 7 hours of off peak rate, and whether it starts at midnight or 00.30 is largely dependent on factors outside of Eon's control. Although I live in the boonies, we have a large factory about four miles away which has shift changes at 7am and 7pm. The buggers here (formerly Western Power but now National Grid) deemed off peak to be 00.00 to 07.00. Presumably so anyone knocking off at 7am would get home and put their kettle on in peak time!

Times also change when the clocks change between GMT and BST.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 08-11-22 at 22:39.
    Level 6
    @retrotecchie

Thanks mate, I wasn't sure if there was a price difference. I'm in West Lancs by the way. I'll call Octopus energy tomorrow and explain Eon won't give me a 2nd generation smart meter and see what they can do for me but I'm probably just better staying with Eon for the time being. It's £157 to get the meter for the economy 7 setup.