Smart meters stopped sending readings July 2021 - No progress on resolving the issue.

Level 1
    Hi Community,

Please can anyone advise how I can get some actual support for my smart meters that stopped sending readings in July 2021?

I have spoken to customer services on the phone multiple times since late 2021 and have made no progress. I have been told it has been passed to the smart meter team and I would be contacted (usually 8 weeks!) but I have never been contacted and the issue has never been fixed.

Phone queues are often 90 minutes now so would appreciate any advice I can receive on here while I wait to speak with customer services again.

My attempts to gain support:
    Late 2021 – Told the issue would be submitted to the smart meter team and I would be contacted within the next 8 weeks. No contact, issue remains.

May 25th 2022 – Told the previous operator had not submitted anything to smart meter team. It was then submitted during the call and I would be called back anytime over the next 8 weeks. No contact, issue remains.

August 30th 2022 – Told the form (Google sheet) was completed on the 25th May. While the agent was checking with the smart meter team, I was disconnected from the call. Issue remains.

October 21st 2022 – Agent got in touch with the smart meter team and requested a ‘sync back to the network’. Informed I would be contacted in 8-10 days. No contact, issue remains.

7th November 2022 – On hold for 15 min… will update once I get through J

As the issue is a connection problem, I fail to see how this can be resolved locally but any attempt in the previous conversations to ask for an engineer was not successful.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
  • 12 Replies

Level 79
    Please post photos of the meters.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 1
    Hi Theunknowntech, thanks for your reply - I will upload photos a little later. I believe from previous conversations I have 'first gen' smart meters.

I eventually managed to speak with customer services after almost 90 minutes on hold. I couldn't be helped as the 'process' is already underway and the agent dealing with it is away at the moment. Despite it being 10 days since they promised to contact me, I now need to wait until the 10th for contact - based on previous experience, I don't remain hopeful. :(

While not the directly the agents' fault, it has been an incredibly poor service for the customer.

Update to follow.
    Level 91
    @Murlin

The DCC are gradually enrolling 1ST generation smart meters onto their network - due to be complete by end 2022, but little in the way of recent information. Just out of interest who were you with before, or if different, who installed the meter originally?

However, when DCC are finished it would seem likely that some 1st Gen meters will not be enrolled and thus are likely to be permanently dumb. What current suppliers will do about that is anybody's guess - my thoughts are that they will do precious little until public pressure (write to your MP!) forces their hands.
    Current Eon Next customer, ex EDF, Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 5
    Hi you should be raising a complaint with Eon and if after I think it is 8 weeks you can take it to the ombudsman.
    This might get things moving for you.
    Level 5
    @Murlin

Both my smart meters stopped being contactable at the same time yours went dark

I was a customer of Npower prior to Eon taking them over - smets1 dumb meters, I'm afraid....

Like you, I have contacted Eon many times to be given the runaround. The upshot is nothing gets done.

I think I will lodge a complaint - probably should have done this long ago....
    Level 1
    @mkthomas

Thanks for providing your feedback - I am in the same situation as you, migrated from Npower where everything was working as expected.

I have been informed today that my meters have been enrolled in the DCC update but have not been provided an estimated time of completion. According to the DCC website the anticipated date to have this project completed is year-end 2022.

I hope you have better luck than me!
    Level 5
    I've been told that on several occasions - each time I've contacted EON, after a week or so, the remote energy meter starts working albeit with the previous tariff listed. After a few weeks the remote stops working again. At no point does either smart meter send data back to EON.

I made a complaint today...
    Level 91
    @mkthomas

I feel for you - its obviously annoying.

But as a smart meter refusenik, I wonder what actual benefit you get from the IHD, and seperately, from the smart meters themselves.
    @retrotecchie and I get along fine without this kit, is it just annoyance that you were gifted a pup or something else?
    Level 5
    Your attitude to smart meters seems rational to me considering the lack of support from energy suppliers.

I had the meters fitted due to health issues which made it difficult for me to read the meters.

I was quite happy with the system for the several years nPower was the supplier. Now the meters go unread for several months at a time. Fortunately, my fixed deal is in place until June of next year.