Announcement on National Grid Demand Flexibility Service (DFS)

Level 1
    I've just seen this (through HUKD) and was opted out of Marketing, but just opted in now. Will I be able to take part?

Incidentally, I've already dramatically reduced my energy consumption - will it be %, fixed reduction or absolute targets? E.g. reduce by 30%, reduce by 3Kwh or reduce to 1kwh between 6 and 9pm...
    Community Team
    Hi Everyone!

The main post has been updated - notably, with the two following questions: How much energy will I need to save? How is the reduction target calculated?

This is the most up to date information we have on this scheme currently, and will be updated should we know more.

Some have already been contacted in relation to the scheme, and if you have now opted into marketing communications, you may be contacted after the initial trial period has been completed.
    Cool 😎 Calm 😌 Collected 🙌 - Here to help, or just for a chat if you like!

Do you agree with a comment? Give the member a 👍
    Got the right answer to a query? Click 'Best Answer' ✅
    Can't find any help using the Search function or by scrolling through our Community? 🤔 Ask a question by starting a new thread in a sub-forum here!
    Find all the ways to get in touch with E.ON Next here
    Level 5
    @DebF_EONNext
    Hi Deb, Thank you for your message.
    I have one query at the moment. I wonder what is happening to our direct debit. On our Eonnext account it says that we are paying £74 a month. This figure is actually what we have been paying while we are on a fixed tariff. This tariff ends this month and so we have arranged to start new payments this month.
    We accepted a new direct debit of £200 from 28/11/22. This was accepted and we received an email telling us that the direct debit would be around £188 as we have a balance of almost £500 in the account.
    So our account should now show that our next debit will be £188.

I want Eon to know that, because we have been on a fixed tariff for 2 years, we have been able to put money aside to cover our new energy bills. We will keep our eyes on the account and make extra payments from our reserve when we are no longer in credit, to allow the direct debit to stay at around £188 per month. Our plan is to bring the balance of our account to zero by 31.3.23, so that all Winter costs are paid and so that we can maintain an adjusted direct debit during the summer when our energy usage will be much less. This will allow us to cope with the expected price increase of 01/03/23.
    We have Solar Panels, and the money they generate in the Summer will be kept by us and added to our reserve, to help with Winter 23/24 payments.
    I hope this makes sense.
    Thank you for your help.
    Michael.
    Level 1
    Why only 'select' customers? You are being paid the money from National Grid who are running the scheme so should be applicable to all customers! Another way to ramp up your already inflated profits. Am sure this is discrimination.
    Level 92
    @shaunandmike

Even National Grid/OFGEM are running this as a trial so it's not universal. Perhaps next year when they see how the trial went, they may roll it out as a 'standard' option.

Personally, I think it is just 'clickbait' to try and speed up the rollout of smart metering which is way behind government targets.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Community Team
    Hi @shaunandmike

I completely understand your thoughts around this.

The Demand Flexibility Scheme has been introduced by National Grid and energy suppliers can implement the scheme currently on a voluntary basis.

As the scheem is new, there will no doubt be some hiccups - this means we can't roll this out to everyone all at once as we need to get a feel to make sure that the way we implement this is viable and working, before we can offer the scheme on a wider scale.

There are a couple of factors to consider also:

- You need to be opted into marketing. As this is a time-of-use tariff based scheme, it's classed as a product/service offering which means if you're not opted into marketing, you won't be contacted about the scheme.

- You have to have agreed to half-hourly data being sent to us from your Smart Meter: We'll need you to have opted into this so we can retrieve your Smart Meters readings every half hour, without this, we have no way of telling when the energy is being used.

Anyone can opt into half-hourly data consent at any time from their online account if they have a Smart Meter installed. It's worth noting though, that we do need at least 1 month's worth of data before you're eligible for the scheme, so if you opt in now, you won't be eligible until approximately 33 days from now (3 days for your consent change to go through, 30 days for the data to come through).
    Last edited by PeterT_EONNext; 11-11-22 at 15:53.
    Level 18
    @PeterT_EONNext

Hi Peter I have been invited to take part in this trial,however my smart meters have now decided voluntarily to opt out of the scheme by refusing to send data back. So even if I wanted to participate, it would be a non starter. You can safely say I’ve failed the test.
    Community Team
    Hi @Plantagenet

Please could you let me know what you mean?

Your meter data shows that we've received your half-hourly data up to date as of today

Name:  Screenshot 2022-11-11 16.48.13.png
Views: 646
Size:  11.5 KB
    Level 18
    @PeterT_EONNext

Thats news to me Peter as it’s not showing any readings on my on line account.
    Last edited by Plantagenet; 11-11-22 at 16:51. Reason: Spelling
    Level 92
    @Plantagenet

If your on line account showed half hourly readings, it would be a mile long. 48 readings a day, per fuel. The account should only show the readings used for actual billing purposes. The 30 minute interval readings are for demand management and usage monitoring only.

From what I understand, the data packets sent by the meters have different headers for billing and monitoring, so the readings go to two separate destinations.

The data packets to the meters (Read requests) are also headered differently so the meter knows what it is being asked for.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 11-11-22 at 16:59.