Pronouns

Level 91
    @retrotecchie

You can be exactly 100% certain I’m a he/him/man 👨‍🦳
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap

MeToo.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 91
    @meldrewreborn @retrotecchie

To continue the Latin theme on this thread... The RAF Motto is 'Per Ardua Ad Astra'. As the cinema on every RAF station (that had one) was called The Astra, we translated the motto to 'After work we go to the pictures' 😂
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap

Excellent Latin - better than I can manage! amo amas amat is all I care to remember.

I have three languages, English and Double Dutch (counts as 2 - getit?)
    Level 92
    Well, good morning fellow naughty schoolboys, as it would appear we don't have any schoolgirls in yet.

That said, @johnscotty2 hasn't been marked on the register yet and hasn't 'brought a note' confirming his he/himness. I lay awake for a long time last night thinking about that trip to America and wondering if there was anything I missed...

Army bases had a cinema sometimes which was, in the day, run by an outfit called Services Sound and Vision Corporation or SSVC. Colloquially referred to by most people in the mob as the Sid Sausage Video Club. They also sold cheap duty-free home electronics to service personnel stationed overseas, hence the epithet.

Obviously privatised now and shaved off by the MOD. They became Visua, still headquartered in Buckinghamshire, but then merged with another company and are now called ITM. In the interests of full disclosure, I was a subcontractor for SSVC/Visua/ITM for ten or so years. There are a lot of Services theatres, lecture halls and briefing rooms that still bear traces of my 'handiwork'.

Back in the 90's I drove a old Vauxhall Astra which needed a lot of effort to keep it running. I'd be out under the bonnet tinkering and my ex-RAF neighbour would often shout out to me Per Ardua ad Astra. He told me it meant my car was hard work!

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie

I was employed by (worked in?) the MOD for nearly 30 years - so I'm familiar with SSVC. Obviously, I'm bound by the Official Secrets Act and can't reveal anything of my time there that isn't already in the public domain.

I do though remember some of the acronyms, BATUS sounded great - British Army Training Unit Suffield (in Canada - fighting vehicle range) and so did BATAU.

The reality of course was different - Bulford and Tidworth Administration Unit.
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap

Excellent Latin - better than I can manage! amo amas amat is all I care to remember.

Gettit! 😂😂
    Level 92
    @JoeSoap

Back in my mis-spent youth (which I laugh about being in the last century) one of our crowd was a bit (ok, a lot) of a hit with the fairer sex. He'd often rock up at our local for the Saturday lunchtime session a bit late on parade, wearing what he was wearing the evening before and grinning from ear to ear. His motto was "Amo, Amas, Am at it again!".

I started French in my last year at junior school then, for reasons I won't bore you with, did a year at the British School in Rio de Janeiro, where the French continued but we had to learn Portuguese. Living out there, learning the language was helped by 'total immersion' outside school.

On my return to Blighty in '79, more French at secondary and then in the third year they threw Spanish into the mix, so three years of that.

When I started my first job after college, most of our work was contracting to the US Army in Germany, so we had a lady come in on a Friday morning to give us a crash course in German. As the next thirty years passed, I worked all over the place so took it upon myself to at least learn the essentials to get by (by which I mean order a beer or a meal and find a hotel room). Working with a lot of native speakers, I pick up odds and ends here and there and now pride myself on being able to swear like a native in around fourteen different languages.

I'm fairly fluent in English but can scrape by in French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and Lithuanian, and have a few words of Arabic and Cantonese.

Welsh, on the other hand, is something I really ought to work harder on as I have been here ten years now and can just about get by at the petrol station, pub or local shop. This is a predominantly Welsh speaking part of the world, but most of the locals usually speak Cwmlish quite well. That is to say, Welsh interspersed with a bit of English.
    Level 91
    In the RAF, squadron leaders were often known as squabblin’ bleeders 😁
    Level 92
    @retrotecchie

Obviously, I'm bound by the Official Secrets Act and can't reveal anything of my time there that isn't already in the public domain.

Likewise. Not actually 'in' myself, but most of my career has been military or police related. I've eaten in more NAAFi's than most civvies have had hot dinners.