Eon has not reduced my direct debit by £66

Level 1

According to the EON website....

"How the Energy Bills Support Scheme will affect you.

Your Direct Debit will be reduced by £67 per month for 6 months from 1 October, however you should leave your Direct Debit at the recommended amount."

Well that hasn't happened for me this October - my recommended amount for direct debit is £142 and according to the above I was expecting them to take £76 (£142 -£66).

Has anyone else had this issue?
  • 4 Replies

Level 1
    I have got the same issue , I just wasn’t expecting a bigger bill , the way previous information read was to be reduced from October 1st ??
    Level 45
    Hi @Markd54321 and @NigelD

The first thing to do is to check your eon-next accounts and make sure that the first £66 EBSS has been credited to your account. Also, it may depend on whether your account is in credit or debit, and by how much.
    If you were on Next Flex then that tariff went up by roughly a third from 1st October, so they would need to take account of that as well.

Whilst official communication on the subject, as you've quoted above, has been the best, there are so many variables that can affect how much you're going to pay, the EBSS etc that I don't think it's possible for them to explain every possible scenario.

The bottom line is that as long as the EBSS payment is credited to your energy account then you're not missing out, if you think with it that you're still paying too much then I'd suggest working it out yourself based on your last 12 months consumption in kWh before contacting them. It's best to have the details in consumption yourself, trying to get a reduction by just discussing monthly payments is somewhat pointless.
    Level 1
    I am currently in credit, and I understand what your point is but it was sent an email showing a lower bill, it’s just when times are hard the pennies matter let alone the pounds, so a miss communication can be expensive
    Level 45
    I am currently in credit, and I understand what your point is but it was sent an email showing a lower bill, it’s just when times are hard the pennies matter let alone the pounds, so a miss communication can be expensive

They have been struggling to implement both the EBSS and the EPG which is no excuse but it probably explains why their communications haven't been anywhere near what they should be.
    Without knowing how much your account is in credit by, when they last reviewed it etc, it's difficult to say what is actually going on. As I said, as long as you're receiving the £66 into your energy account then you're not missing out.

If I were you I'd work out my consumption over the last year in kWh, multiply that by your current rates and then add the standing charge. Deduct the amount you're in credit by and then divide by 12. See how that compares to your current DD.