EV Charger in separate garage from main house

Level 1
    Question :- I have a large house, with separate 3 car garage that I wish to install an EV charger from Eon.
    My Mains meter is in the house, 20m away from the garage.
    The garage has its own Fuse box supplying mains ring and lighting.

Will I be Able to install an EV charger in the garage without laying any other cables back to the house meter? Ie using the garage fuse box to take power from?
    The website seems to suggest having to be near the mains meter which I can't do as we have just had hard landscaping done and won't be digging anything up.

Just asking as about to order a new E Vehicle.

many thanks all
  • 3 Replies

Level 43
    Hi @matts360

I think that your EV charger would need to be protected by something like a 40 amp fuse so I doubt that your garage has incoming wiring capable of handling that plus your existing sockets and wiring.

I'd suggest contacting an electrician/ev installer because your incoming fuse, consumer unit etc would all need to be checked to make sure they are capable of handling an ev charger.
    Level 21
    I'd call any local household electrician to "just have a look at the garage and tell you what you've got and what you could add". It is possible that the flimsiest allowable cable from the house was put in and that could be enough to run a 5 Amp lighting circuit and a twin 13Amp socket for the lawnmower, but that is not safe nor right for an electric vehicle charger. Brands matter. You might just about get away with a Nissan from a 13 Amp socket but definitely not a Tesla, which at >7kW needs the biggest possible cooker cabling and its own fuse/circuit breaker, from the house consumer unit where electricity first enters the main house.

That could influence which size of EV you choose - look up or ask about the home charger requirements.

Noting that a three car garage is quite a lot wider than my house, you might have some spare roof for solar panels. IF that garage is often sunny, I'd cover that roof with more of the cheapest polysilicon than some installers first offer. If they want to leave four foot margins around the roof edges then they are not trying. A 6kW(peak) photovoltaic installation on the garage would certainly want a new cooker sized cable to the house, but should be able to share it with an ev charger.

So to do: show the real garage to your local qualified electrician.
    Community Manager
    Hi @matts360 Anasa here 👋 I hope you are well! I'd love to know how you got on with getting your garage checked over to support the installation of an EV Charger? Any good advice or next steps? We'd love to hear how this is progressing! 😊
    'The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members’

Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over here!📣