Unknowingly Moved to Standard Variable Rate (SVR) - Next Flex

Level 1
    Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced something similar?

My current fixed-price tariff was due to end on 8th October, and I received the usual renewal email about signing up for another tariff for the next 12 months. I received this email late August, and with the uncertainty in the market agreed to another fixed-price tariff (Next Online v20) of which I have email confirmation of doing so - this was on 25th August.

On Monday 10th October I received an email saying that my fixed plan was about to end, and that it would end on 8th October! The email said that if no action was taken then on 8th October (2 days previous) I would be moved automatically onto Next Flex, the variable rate tariff.

Upon discovering and reading this email a few days later, I decided to check my Eon Next account online, only to discover that I had in fact been moved onto Next Flex - despite never being asked whether I wanted to and seemingly being told I had been moved over automatically too late to do anything about it, and having agreed to a new fixed-term.

Online I now have no option to change my tariff to a fixed-rate either.

Last week I tried for quite a while to get through to speak to an operator, but to no avail and also tried via Whatsapp, and again have received no call back or message.

I completely understand that the phonelines etc will be going crazy with what is happening at the moment, so thought I would post this thread to see if anyone had experienced anything similar, and/or had any answers or advice for me going forward?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Daren.
  • 16 Replies

• Best Answer

Community Team
    Best Answer
    Hey guys 😁

Great work from @theunknowntech & @meldrewreborn with this one, thank you! πŸ’•
    @Daren Just too echo the guys and put your mind at ease, when we find that the customer has locked into a fix recently and it has gone above EPG rates they have all been moved back to our SVT that follow the EPG rates. This is because it is cheaper for you 😊.

Have a read of this for tariff change information. Visit here for some more information on the EPG and what it means for your tariff.

As already pointed out, we just don't know what is going to happen now but keep an eye on this thread that will be updated when we know more regarding the EPG and tariff information 😊
    🌍 Striving for a bigger, better and sustainable world!

There are lots of new ways to contact us! If you do need us please
    πŸ‘‰get in touchπŸ‘ˆ

Thinking about replacing your boiler? You can find out more about our boiler solutions πŸ‘‰ HERE πŸ‘ˆ
    Level 79
    Hi @Daren ,

I'm one of the community volunteers.

To be honest... Right now you're probably on the cheapest deal anyway. A lot of suppliers are moving customers to SVT where it's reasonably determined as being in your best interests. There won't be many fix deals out there either I'm afraid.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! πŸ€– Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider πŸ•· πŸ€– Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 91
    @Daren

Once the government outlined the scope of the EPG all recent fix deals became uncompetitive and as customers have the right to exit them penalty free it was a no brainer that customers would end their fixes on mass.

Prices are as near fixed as is possible now for 2 years. Advice? Cutting consumption should be every consumers aim right now!
    Current Eon Next customer, ex EDF, Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 1
    @theunknowntech and @meldrewreborn

Thanks very much for your speedy responses!

You've cleared a lot up for me, and put my mind somewhat at ease going forward.

Daren :-)

Level 91
    @Daren

except the government has now limited the EPG to just six months. So the certainty has been removed!
    Level 59
    Hey guys 😁

Great work from @theunknowntech & @meldrewreborn with this one, thank you! πŸ’•
    @Daren Just too echo the guys and put your mind at ease, when we find that the customer has locked into a fix recently and it has gone above EPG rates they have all been moved back to our SVT that follow the EPG rates. This is because it is cheaper for you 😊.

Have a read of this for tariff change information. Visit here for some more information on the EPG and what it means for your tariff.

As already pointed out, we just don't know what is going to happen now but keep an eye on this thread that will be updated when we know more regarding the EPG and tariff information 😊

Certainly for the next 6 months I agree.

But can I highlight a potential problem for those that fixed recently. particularly for a September/Early October start date? Most of these customers (myself inc) who have stayed on their fix will find that come April 1st 2023 the (universal) EPG rates and fixed tariff reductions will be dead in the water. What replaces it will not be known for many months but I can do no worse than forecast we will not see the universal rate reductions applied post-April that we currently see. It is almost certainly going to be much more targeted towards those on Universal Credit, pensioners and those with disability needs. The current EPG cap levels are based on a Β£2500 average household. Come April 1st (or in the weeks leading up to this) we should see what unit rates are going to be for at least 3 months, maybe longer. The indications are that come April unit rates will almost certainly take the notional average figure well past Β£2500 if Cornwall is to be believed.

Which brings me to the likes of v18 (my tariff). If I, along with everyone on such a fixed tariff is/has been forceably moved onto a different tariff NOW (such as Next Flex), come April 1st we would see us going onto the higher NEXT FLEX rates rather than reverting to the original V18 unadjusted rates that existed when we signed up for them in good faith and these may be cheaper than what is in place for Next Flex post April 2023.

Of course if Eon Next intends keeping us on the V18 etc tariff until April 1st, applying only the EPG and Eon Next reductions (to be in line with Next Flex) all well and good but the inference now from other posters being forceably moved now may see them being disadvantaged post April 1st 2023. At least give the customers the figures and let them decide what they wish to do now - stay on their v18. v19 v20 fix (with reductions) or move to a different tariff - Next Flex - with deductions already applied.
    Last edited by Mailman; 19-10-22 at 11:22.
    Community Team
    Maybe for the next 6 months agreed.

Bou have highlighted a potential problem for those that fixed recently. particularly for a September/Early October start date. Most of these customers (myself inc) who have stayed on their fix will find that come April 1st 2023 the (universal) EPG rates and fixed tariff reductions will be dead in the water. What replaces it will not be known for many months but I can do no worse than forecast we will not see the universal rate reductions applied post-April that we currently see. It is almost certainly going to be much more targeted towards those on Universal Credit, pensioners and those with disability needs. The current EPG cap levels are based on a Β£2500 average household. Come April 1st (or in the weeks leading up to this) we should see what unit rates are going to be for at least 3 months, maybe longer. The indications are that come April unit rates will almost certainly take the notional average figure well past Β£2500 if The Cornwall Inst is to be believed.

Which brings me to the likes of v18 (my tariff). If I, along with everyone on such a fixed tariff is/has been forceably moved onto a different tariff NOW (such as Next Flex), come April 1st we would see us going onto the higher NEXT FLEX rates rather than reverting to the original V18 unadjusted rates that existed when we signed up for them in good faith and which may be cheaper than what is in place post April 2023.

Of course if Eon Next intends keeping us on the V18 etc tariff until April 1st, applying only the EPG and Eon Next reductions (to be in line with Next Flex) all well and good but the inference now from other posters being forceably moved now may see them being disadvantaged post April 1st 2023. At least give the customers the figures and let them decide what they wish to do now - stay on their v18. v19 v20 fix (with reductions) or move to a different tariff - Next Flex - with deductions already applied.

Good points @Mailman and I for one do agree with you, we're just in a position whereby we have no idea what will happen! It is best to keep πŸ‘€ on the Community for the lastest company updates as soon as we hear them!
    Level 59
    Good points @Mailman and I for one do agree with you, we're just in a position whereby we have no idea what will happen! It is best to keep πŸ‘€ on the Community for the lastest company updates as soon as we hear them!

But Eon Next must surely be in a position to control how they implement the EPG right now (or at least very soon) for those on fixed tariffs for the next 5.5 months. We get it that all bets are off from April 1st but there is at least certainty until then.
    Community Team
    But Eon Next must surely be in a position to control how they implement the EPG right now (or at least very soon) for those on fixed tariffs for the next 5.5 months. We get it that all bets are off from April 1st but there is at least certainty until then.

Of course @Mailman, and I really do hope that E.ON Next do have a plan and answers for you soon. However we are all in the dark right now! When you found out about the u turn; so did we. So I can't make any promises right now or say for sure, but when we do have some more information we will let our Community know right away 😊