Energy discount of £400

Level 13
    @PeterT_EONNext Thanks for the very quick reply. Does this mean that to get the money back from the electricity meter, John will have to change suppliers? It seems a lot of trouble and costs for such a small matter.
    Or would it be possible for you to cancel the vouchers (before or after issue) and credit his gas account with them?
    Community Team
    @GSimpson

It just wouldn't be possible I'm afraid. The way that it works is the vouchers are issued for each prepay electricity meter point that we supply, and I suspect that this is the same for all suppliers that are implementing this across the whole of the UK on behalf of the government.

Changing suppliers could result in a refund of any credit on the meter, but isn't usually the case anymore. This is because, the switch would take place, a new device would be issued to change the meters prices to the prices for the chosen supplier, and the credit would then continue to be used on the meter, on the new suppliers prices. Some devices wipe the credit, so generally it's best to use up as much as possible.

Switching suppliers currently may be difficult too, as not many suppliers are taking on new customers currently due to the drop in market offerings available. Taking on a new supply point for any supplier at the moment generally means taking on the supply point at a loss, but some may still be offering switches to them.

- Pete
    Cool 😎 Calm 😌 Collected 🙌 - Here to help, or just for a chat if you like!

Do you agree with a comment? Give the member a 👍
    Got the right answer to a query? Click 'Best Answer' ✅
    Can't find any help using the Search function or by scrolling through our Community? 🤔 Ask a question by starting a new thread in a sub-forum here!
    Find all the ways to get in touch with E.ON Next here
    Level 79
    You don't get a refund when changing suppliers with Prepayment Meters. The advice instead is to drain as much meter credit as possible at around the time of the switch, and then start using the new key/card instead of the old one - because ALL remaining credit sometimes gets wiped as part of the process.

From my understanding elsewhere, vouchers cannot be cancelled once issued and they cannot be exchanged for cash.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 13
    For interest, this is how EDF do it:

"If you pay for your energy through a prepayment meter it’s a good idea to run your credit down before you move out. If you’re not paying off a debt or able to run down the credit before moving, please call us as soon as possible and we can arrange for any remaining credit to be refunded, which may require an appointment to remove the credit from the meter. Alternatively you can ask the new occupier if they will give you the full amount of any outstanding credit on the meter when they move in."
    Level 91
    @GSimpson

The more i learn about them, the more I'm really glad not to have ever encountered a prepayment meter as a customer, although I've seen them in other people's properties. We've discussed before that E.On Next don't have any desire to remove people's prepayment meters in favour of credit meters, irrespective of the customers standing or credit worthiness. Logically that leads to an inexorable rise in the proportion of prepayment meters in use, as this type of meter is only installed when a customer has difficulty managing their finances, but never removed -for any reason.

I'm surprised there isn't a campaign to force suppliers to consider requests for credit meters on a fair and reasonable basis.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Hi @John2020, I am Bennie, one of the community co-ordinator.

I have just had a look at the thread and I totally understand how it can be frustrating to be put in such a situation. Unfortunately, for how things are based at the moment, if you are not willing to have a bit of flexibility and keep exactly the meters that you have, the scheme will be applied based on what kind of meter you have for your electricity. This means that you will be receiving a voucher for £66 on your electricity.

Of course we want to find a solution that can be suitable for you, and this is what the community is also here for. I have asked a couple of questions to the business based on your request and hopefully we should know more on Monday.

In all the comments to your post, I can see how the members have tried to support you with an overview of what option may or may not be there. I don't believe any of them or us from E.ON Next has been harassing you at all.

We are all here in order to have a positive and constructive chat and look into options that can be suitable for you.

I will update you on Monday.

Bennie 😀
    Community Manager
    @John2020 Anasa here 👋 I'm so sorry to hear hear how disappointed you are with how you'll receive your vouchers, it's true that we can't exchange them for gas but for anything account specific like this please reach out to us, I can see that @Bennie_EONNext has replied to your other post so you've not been forgotten.
    'The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members’

Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over here!📣

Level 5
    @theunknowntech Look, you are here, anonymously. My question was rhetorical - I did not need, nor did I want any sort of explanation from you about who you are. I have been extremely anxious and upset about this situation and I was offended by your casual remark.

I only came onto this forum because I waited 35 minutes without success to talk to an EON employee about this. This was the only way I could get any sort of feedback.

I now find - having been told nothing by EON - that this is purely for my electricity account. So, it is not an "energy" discount. It is an electricity discount.
    Last edited by John2020; 11-10-22 at 12:40.
    Level 5
    Now, in my e-mail in tray I have e-mails from EON telling me that I have received two unsolicited private communications. I do not know who they are from - I am not reading these messages. I am here on a public forum.

Anything anyone wants to say to me they can say to me here, in public.

If it happens again I will publish the communication here.

Last edited by John2020; 11-10-22 at 12:46.
    Level 5
    It is now 11th October. As one of EON's prepayment customers I am being forced to receive vouchers - at least in theory. I have, to date, received absolutely nothing.

Would someone from EON like to tell me when I will receive this?