Confused about moving & utilities

So I have recently moved to the UK and still am not clear on how the utilities accounts work. The only reason I signed up with EON is because I got a letter for the previous tenant from them.

I am moving in the next month and am wondering what the process is. Do I call and cancel my account and then sign up with a provider that services the new area or can EON manage my utilities regardless of where I live (in England)?

Any wisdom would be appreciated!
  • 6 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 43
    Best Answer
    Hi @waltzingmatildas

Eon can manage your gas and electric wherever you live, as can any supplier. They aren't restricted geographically unlike water. I would stick with Eon if that's who you've signed up with because swapping suppliers might be more trouble than it's worth at the moment.
    Level 91
    @waltzingmatildas

There is a facility for this in your online account, I believe.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Hi @waltzingmatildas

Eon can manage your gas and electric wherever you live, as can any supplier. They aren't restricted geographically unlike water. I would stick with Eon if that's who you've signed up with because swapping suppliers might be more trouble than it's worth at the moment.

Thanks for that. That's exactly the info I was needing. Much less complicated than that US, that's for sure.
    @JoeSoap Thanks. I will have a look around there when the time comes.
    Just wanted to pop back in with an update. The process seemed straight forward but really was not. I've had to email multiple times and call as well :/ It seems counterintuitive to have this process on the website but still need to call on the day of the move (as instructed I was instructed to do).

As the previous property was still my responsibility for a couple weeks after the move, it was a real struggle to get the bill for both. I like that you can email customer service, but unfortunately it's not as thorough as it was when I first signed up with Eon Next. After quite a few emails where the agent did not understand what I was asking, I was assured a new final bill would be issued but still haven't received anything.
    Level 91
    @waltzingmatildas

Thanks for keeping us updated. I guess the system has trouble dealing with you being responsible for the consumption in two properties at once in the transition of moving from one to the other.

I agree that it’s good to be able to email customer service but not when you have to wait days for a reply. You seem to have got through it now with the exception of the final bill for the previous property. Hopefully you’ll get that last thing resolved without too much difficulty.

Sometimes it seems that nothing is easy.