New smart meter, wrong tariff

Hi,

I've just had a eon smart meter installed yesterday and it is quoting energy rates of 52p pkwh (e) and 14p pkwh (g)

However on my account on eon website has different figures.

How can I know the rate i am being charged today, 5th Oct 2022 and why the smart meter is different than details on website?

Will my bills be calculated from smart meter figures or something else?

any help appreciated (new user, apologies if I've missed anything obvious)

Ben
    Attached Images Attached Images      
  • 3 Replies

Level 78
    The tariff rates will be adjusted, but it's not possible for at least two weeks post-install. The meters need to commission properly first.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 1
    The tariff rates will be adjusted, but it's not possible for at least two weeks post-install. The meters need to commission properly first.

Okay but... we are in the same position as bennyuk except that we are on an Economy 7 / dual rate tariff. Our smart meter appears to be applying only a single (day) rate at an arbitrary tariff and not the tariff in our contract. How will we receive an accurate bill? I have asked this question by email over a week ago. Not even an acknowledgment of receipt so far.
    Level 91
    @bennyuk

The smart meters send readings back to E.On Next. From that your consumption is derived and the correct tariff prices as stored in your online account are applied and a bill raised. This is where your bills are calculated, not in your meters or the IHD.

In theory the smart meters should be updated with the correct tariffs and then communicate these to the IHD (but only as a guide), but the full commissioning process takes weeks and only then will things come right. Many thousands of meters are installed every day, but sometimes the communication doesn't work correctly, and it can take ages to resolve. In the meantime, work out what your units of consumption cost each. Those prices will not change now for 2 years so understanding them will be of long term benefit. You should come out that a unit of electricity is circa 35p, and 1 cu.mt of gas is about £1.15 - rates are regional so vary a bit, and then there is the standing charge.

The standing charge has to be paid so take a note of it, but you cannot reduce it. You consumption though is entirely under your control - get used to thinking in consumption units and strive to reduce them if like most of the population the cost of energy is a cause for concern.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.