Smart Meter - Excessively High Usage

View Tag Cloud
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap
    @RedBeard89 has submitted a complaint -although i readily concede its not entirely clear when. You of course have my apologies.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 91
    @meldrewreborn

Hey no need to apologise but accepted anyway 😁
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    @meldrewreborn - Thank you so much for alerting me to this thread. I am really pleased with the support this user has had by all of you. It's a real 'all hands on deck' moment! You have all given fantastic advice and I loved @Mailman's test of the meter -it's a great tool and a great way to identify possible errors. Well done to all of you for your support on this.

All that being said, @RedBeard89 I'm really sorry to see your experience with us hasn't been great and I'd like to take over from here. I'm going to send you a DM as I think I can get an earlier appointment for you. 🤞 Try not to worry about the charges for now as we are able to 'back bill' (sorry for the terminology) for faulty meters. In the mean time, it is important to keep your DD set up if you have one, so that your actual usage is still covered. Pinging you a DM right now.
    Level 10
    Originally Posted by Beki_EONNext;18743 @[B
    meldrewreborn[/B] - Thank you so much for alerting me to this thread. I am really pleased with the support this user has had by all of you. It's a real 'all hands on deck' moment! You have all given fantastic advice and I loved @Mailman's test of the meter -it's a great tool and a great way to identify possible errors. Well done to all of you for your support on this.

All that being said, @RedBeard89 I'm really sorry to see your experience with us hasn't been great and I'd like to take over from here. I'm going to send you a DM as I think I can get an earlier appointment for you. 🤞 Try not to worry about the charges for now as we are able to 'back bill' (sorry for the terminology) for faulty meters. In the mean time, it is important to keep your DD set up if you have one, so that your actual usage is still covered. Pinging you a DM right now.
    @Beki_EONNext - Thanks, I have now responded to your DM.

Again thanks to @meldrewreborn @JoeSoap @theunknowntech and @Mailman for all the advice you have offered so far.
    Last edited by RedBeard89; 12-10-22 at 11:26. Reason: missed out tags
    Level 91
    @RedBeard89

Keep us appraised of developments please, because we love stories with a happy ending! Although we throw a lot of mud at times we also like to praise and congratulate good service where its given.
    Level 10
    By way of a follow up - Beki was able to provide the average for the previous occupants and it was 28 units per day or 10,220kWh per annum, which seems incredibly high.

Since moving in - this has now increased to 48 units per day or 17,520kWh per annum!

For reference, in our previous property we were using on average between 1977-2200kWh per annum - we now seem to be using almost this every month!

In addition the previous occupants were a family of 4 whereas there are just two of us now, this all seems a bit strange!

Any ideas as to what could be causing this other than a faulty meter would be welcome. @meldrewreborn @JoeSoap @Mailman

The fact that the previous occupants' average was so high suggests that there was something up with the meter even when they were occupying the property.
    Last edited by RedBeard89; 12-10-22 at 15:25. Reason: Tags missing
    Level 91
    @RedBeard89

My estimated annual consumption is over 7000kWh for three of us in a four bed detached so 10000kWh for four people, although high, doesn’t sound outrageous. We don’t know their consumption habits of course.
    Level 56
    @RedBeard89

Just as a final throw of my particular dice:

Perform the meter sanity test again, but this time do it on each individual circuit - so main trip switch ON and ALL the individual circuits OFF. Now perform the meter sanity test through each of your circuits ONE AT A TIME and only one at a time. Is there a particular circuit that is setting your impulses up to the sort of numbers that you reported before? Or is the impulse rate going to 30-60 for every single circuit that you tested? Just trying to totally eliminate that unknown draw on your electricity👍
    Level 91
    @Mailman

Just for information, if it were just one circuit causing the problem, would there be any outward sign of the issue- sparking, burning, smell, heat etc that would help track down a fault?
    Level 10
    @RedBeard89

Just as a final throw of my particular dice:

Perform the meter sanity test again, but this time do it on each individual circuit - so main trip switch ON and ALL the individual circuits OFF. Now perform the meter sanity test through each of your circuits ONE AT A TIME and only one at a time. Is there a particular circuit that is setting your impulses up to the sort of numbers that you reported before? Or is the impulse rate going to 30-60 for every single circuit that you tested? Just trying to totally eliminate that unknown draw on your electricity👍

@Mailman - could you please advise based on this fuse box in the attached? There appear to be two circuits (32A and 6A) on the main box and then an isolator for the electric shower. What would the grounded earth's role be during this test?

Attached Images Attached Images