People on Fixed v18, v19, v20 Online DD Tariffs

Level 56
    1. Has anyone received a reduction on the above tariffs that they now see listed in their account?
    2. Has anyone on these tariffs seen their electricity rate (p/kWh inc VAT) reduce all the way to the cap? Or are they still above the cap?

if replying, please indicate which region you are from. Caps can be obtained from MSE October Caps DD

My answers:

1. YES
    2. NO ( Cap Northern = 32.24p/kWh inc VAT whereas reduced rate after EPG application on v18 (on account) = 34.01p/kWh inc VAT)

Last edited by Mailman; 03-10-22 at 22:12.
  • 81 Replies

• Best Answer

Community Team
    Best Answer
    @MCeeJay and @Mailman

I completely agree and understand the concerns with what's happening to those of you on the fixed tariffs, that of course, shouldn't be happening.

I can assure you that right now, this is being discussed so we can get some answers for everyone - I know that this isn't ideal and I'm sorry that things don't seem to be working as intended. I can assure you that no matter what happens when we do finally get this fixed, no one will be billed for more than what the EPG rates are for the area you fall under. If you've been billed incorrectly so far, this will be corrected.

I'm awaiting an update on this and we'll be sure to get this info out to all affected as soon as possible, as this is a priority.
    Cool 😎 Calm 😌 Collected 🙌 - Here to help, or just for a chat if you like!

Do you agree with a comment? Give the member a 👍
    Got the right answer to a query? Click 'Best Answer' ✅
    Can't find any help using the Search function or by scrolling through our Community? 🤔 Ask a question by starting a new thread in a sub-forum here!
    Find all the ways to get in touch with E.ON Next here
    Level 91
    @Mailman

Was your previous tariff rate 51.01p by any chance, meaning they have purely applied the 17p reduction?

If so, maybe there’s still some updating to do.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 9
    v19 South West here

electricity has gone from 60.47p to 42.62p

gas has gone from 15.22p to 10.80p

i've given up trying to make any sense of it!
    Level 1
    Yes

Next Online v19
    42.23 and 10.66
    still above the cap levels.

north west
    Level 56
    @Mailman

Was your previous tariff rate 51.01p by any chance, meaning they have purely applied the 17p reduction?

If so, maybe there’s still some updating to do.

Not quite.

51.86p/kWh was the unadjusted electricity rate pre-Oct 1st (inc VAT)
    49.39p/kWh was the unadjusted electricity rate pre-Oct 1st (exc VAT) 51.86/1.05 = 49.39.....
    less EPG 17p/kWh gives 32.39p/kWh adjusted (exc VAT) 49.39 - 17 = 32.39.....
    i.e. 34.01p/kWh (inc VAT) 32.39.....X 1.05

But you are correct that only the 17p applied and 34.01p/kWh is clearly above the cap rate for my region of 32.24p/kWh.

It appears that Eon Next have only applied the 17p reduction to the tariff rates exc VAT and then added the VAT back on which is what we see in the account.

The replies from the other posters in this thread follow the same 17p reduction as outlined above and are clearly way above the cap for their region. I'm really not sure that Eon Next are aware of this as some of us have been banging on for days about it. Perhaps they have nievely assumed that all rates (all the way to v20) would have reduced to the cap (for both utilities) with the 17p reduction but clearly it does not with v18, V19 and v20.
    Last edited by Mailman; 04-10-22 at 08:54.
    Level 56
    v19 South West here

electricity has gone from 60.47p to 42.62p

gas has gone from 15.22p to 10.80p

i've given up trying to make any sense of it!

Yes to get your figures the calculation has been ((60.47/1.05) - 17)*1.05 = 42.62p/kWh. This inc VAT and is what is now listed on your account. They too have only aplied a 17p reduction and clearly not gone down to the cap (if, indeed, they ever intended going this far).
    Level 91
    @Mailman
    the reduction from the EPG is 17p met by the government without the impact of VAT. Bringing down the high fix rates further to the variable EPG rates is not a government funded action and would have to be addressed separately. In essence it’s an internal policy decision, I think it would be easier to end these high fixes and transfer customers to the variable EPG.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 56
    @Mailman
    the reduction from the EPG is 17p met by the government without the impact of VAT. Bringing down the high fix rates further to the variable EPG rates is not a government funded action and would have to be addressed separately. In essence it’s an internal policy decision, I think it would be easier to end these high fixes and transfer customers to the variable EPG.

Agreed the 17p reduction is applied to the rates (exc VAT) which is why my calcs have stripped them out although the new EPG rate will get VAT applied to them at the billing stage. Eon Next (in common with most other suppliers) will quote the tariff in the account to include the effect of VAT. The purpose of this thread is to see if anyone on fixed tariffs is seeing reductions all the way to the cap (i.e in excess of the mandated 17p/4.2p reductions). Clearly, so far, we are not although there have been the odd post where people have been assured on the phone that rates will go all the way to the cap! I'm just not convinced this is the case.
    Last edited by Mailman; 04-10-22 at 10:40.
    Level 91
    Not quite.

51.86p/kWh was the unadjusted electricity rate pre-Oct 1st (inc VAT)
    49.39p/kWh was the unadjusted electricity rate pre-Oct 1st (exc VAT) 51.86/1.05 = 49.39.....
    less EPG 17p/kWh gives 32.39p/kWh adjusted (exc VAT) 49.39 - 17 = 32.39.....
    i.e. 34.01p/kWh (inc VAT) 32.39.....X 1.05

But you are correct that only the 17p applied and 34.01p/kWh is clearly above the cap rate for my region of 32.24p/kWh.

It appears that Eon Next have only applied the 17p reduction to the tariff rates exc VAT and then added the VAT back on which is what we see in the account.

The replies from the other posters in this thread follow the same 17p reduction as outlined above and are clearly way above the cap for their region. I'm really not sure that Eon Next are aware of this as some of us have been banging on for days about it. Perhaps they have nievely assumed that all rates (all the way to v20) would have reduced to the cap (for both utilities) with the 17p reduction but clearly it does not with v18, V19 and v20.

That's interesting. I hadn't factored-in the fact that the reductions were from the 'excluding VAT' rates. That probably explains why my calculations for my own fix, v17, were slightly out compared to what they actually are now. I will re-visit them.

As to bringing the rates down all the way to the EPG, I think that will be the next thing they do... just to confuse people further.