People on Fixed v18, v19, v20 Online DD Tariffs

View Tag Cloud
    Level 8
    @Mailman

So basically anyone on a fixed tariff higher than the EPG will now be moved to the Next Flex variable (EPG matched?) tariff. That's different to what I was told a couple of days ago when they said the fixed tariffs would be reduced to the government guidelines. My electricity tariff currenly still says fixed and is at 41.30 p/kWh. How could they possibly make such a mess of what should be a relatively easy process; and I wonder what rate they have actually been charging us at so far this month.
    Level 59
    @onyourbike

I believe the changes to the fixed tariffs affected will take a little time - perhpas not quite such an easy process as we would like to think it is. I asked the question of Beki_EONNext in the other thread about whether the tariffs are going to be backdated to October 1st (hoping and asssuming that they will be). Mine is still showing the wrong tariff but vlearly some folk have had at least one of their tariffs changed to match the lower Next Flex EPG rates.
    Level 91
    @onyourbike

It is a mess. It seems they have reduced some fixed electricity tariffs by up to 17p in accordance with the EPG rules and some that had the full 17p reduction did not reach the floor.

They have followed the rules so are not in breach but they are going further it seems by reducing the tariff further for those in that position by moving them to Next Flex.

It may be it will be done in stages and back-dated and you are still in the queue. You could wait another day or two to see what happens or the other alternative is to contact customer service.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 8
    @JoeSoap

I sent them a mail days ago stating that if the fixed tariffs were going to be higher than the EPG then I want to be moved onto the variable rate ASAP, and they replied that there was no need to as the fixed rates would be reduced. It seems that was incorrect and now we have to wait for an undetermined amount of time to switch. Not impressed. Once this has all settled I will certainly be looking to move away from here, they do not deserve my money.

Oh, and they also took the full (incorrect) direct debit out on the 3rd - which was the old Ofgem cap rate minus the £67 government payment.
    Level 91
    @onyourbike

I fully understand your frustration and agree it’s a complete mess. I’m sure many will change provider when the dust settles and no doubt some of those will be moving from other providers to Eon Next in the belief that the grass is always greener on the other side.

My own strategy has been to wait it out and let things get sorted, mainly because I can’t be bothered hanging on the phone to customer service or waiting five days for an email reply.
    Level 59

Oh, and they also took the full (incorrect) direct debit out on the 3rd - which was the old Ofgem cap rate minus the £67 government payment.

At least they took off the £67 as they should have done. But your DD is not your bill as you are aware. Am I right to assume that Eon Next have produced a statement/bill where the rates are detailed with incorrect unit tariffs from the period 1st October to 2/3/4th October? If they have then yes this will need to be rectified but may require you to pick up the phone/email them again.

As to the nominal DD set on your account, then you need to try and work out (using your actual energy consumption) whether you agree that the current DD level is enough to get you through this winter at least. You can do this if you regularly submit meter readings every month/have a functioning smart meter OR you can accept Eon's esimated consumption figures that you see on each bill. The energy supply companies don't get it right all the time but then again neither do customers. Remember also that nominal DD rates were always going to need an uptick on them in October due to the approx 27% rise (compared to the April cap) in energy prices (even @ the £2500 level). All the £67 does is reduce your actual DD amount going out of your bank account but the total being credited to your Eon Next account remains the same - you will probably see (if not already) an transaction item listed in your acccount to this effect along with the actual DD payment you made on 3rd once they have been applied to your account.
    Level 8
    @Mailman

My tariff was due to change at the beginning of October, and I opted for the V19 fixed about a month ago. The estimated DD was going to be about £247 - so about £2964 a year, which was around £600 below the average Ofgem cap. This was reduced by the £67 to £180 - so still in effect paying £247 a month. I would have expected my new estimate to be the same percentage below the new £2500 cap and then the further £400 deduction on top; so by my estimate about £130-£135 DD a month - or less for the first six months depending how they are working out the government payments. Why they cannot show a) the correct tariff b) the correct unit rate c) the estimated yearly usage and d) confirmation that the £67 deduction has been applied in a simple format I do not know. It seems at the moment very few people know what they should be paying per month or per year and if the £400 deduction has actually been applied. Not good.
    Level 59
    so by my estimate about £130-£135 DD a month

OK if you expect your actual payments to be £130 DD per month, you need to set your nominal DD amount to be £197 pcm that will reduce via the £67 to an actual DD from yourself of £130 pcm. Your account will thus see your credit applied of £130 and a £67 HMG credit (total £197 after application)
    Last edited by Mailman; 05-10-22 at 09:52.
    Level 8
    The trouble is that it hasn't been made crystal clear where and when the £67 is coming off. They do say "Your Direct Debit will be reduced by £67 per month for 6 months from 1 October". If this HAS happened, and my DD has gone from £247 to £180, then it infers that after six months it will go back up to £247. That would mean a total of £2562! And as I am a below average consumer according to their figures, as I was quoted £2945 when the cap was around £3550, then this can't be correct. By my estimates the £130-£135 figure is what it should average out to over twelve months after all deductions.

Why can't they list it like your Council Tax bill and show the predicted payment for the next twelve months, and clearly show which months have the £67 reduction?
    Level 91
    @onyourbike

Can I suggest that you exercise some patience on this and let us help you. The changes to tariffs have to be worked through, first the EPG reductions affecting both Electricity and gas unit prices, and then any additional company financed reduction down to the ERG levels for unit prices. But standing charges are not part of the EPG so how do these compare to those on the variable tariff? And the £400 will be credited in roughly equal amounts over the 6 months. Since we pay monthly in arrears and most of sensibly have fixed monthly direct debits there is time to get everything right.

But if you were to tell us what region you are in, what your forecast consumptions are and the standing charges on your tariff, we might be able to explain better. That's not to say that you are in the wrong - but establishing the facts helps to explain, even to E.On Next if necessary.
    Current Eon Next customer, ex EDF, Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.