Meter reading message "seems high"

Level 1
    We moved last year and submitted meter readings and signed up for a 1 year fixed tariff which has now ended.

Last estimated gas meter reading was 06822 on 16 July 2022. We have just gone to submit an updated one today which is 07038 and we are getting a message saying it seems high. We have triple checked it.

It may be a little bit higher than the estimate but we were on a fix - we don't want to send it without finding out why we're getting this message, so putting it out here to see what you all think??

Obviously I can't call eon at the moment!
  • 3 Replies

Level 79
    Hi @harpsa ,

Not much I can suggest to be honest. I've got a link to all the other contact options in my signature. My sources tell me people using WhatsApp seem to be having a bit more luck than others but that's all I know.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 45
    Hi @harpsa

That is a fair amount of gas for the 'summer' months, can you compare it to what you used in the same period last year?
    Also, how far off is from what was estimated?

Before I had smart meters I would get the opposite message 'Your reading seems low' or words to that effect. As I knew it was right I entered it and I think it was checked manually before billing, I think someone just looks at usage patterns for previous years.

If you're happy that you've used that amount of gas then submit it, it may be better to wait a few days until the website is functioning normally.
    Level 91
    @harpsa

my suggestion would be that the previous estimate was far too low. I use circa 13,000 kWH in the winter but only 3,000 kWh in the summer (i’ve A thermal solar panel). An under estimate of the winter consumption would automatically mean a much larger than usual summer reading / consumption.
    if you go back over previous bills the cause might well be identifiable.
    Current Eon Next customer, ex EDF, Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.