Energy usage

Level 1
    My IHD is showing high usage, over double what I normaly use at this time of day. I have checked everything but nothing extra being used.

All family sat in the same room and suddenly IHD went into red zone.

Has anyone seen this before and can anyone tell me what could be causing this?

• 9 Replies

Level 91
    @RK1

Can you elaborate on ‘red zone’. Is this the red light showing high current usage or is your IHD showing you have gone over, or are approaching, the budget you have set and gone into the red?

Is it electric or gas usage you are questioning?
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 1
    It is the electric usage. The red light that comes on when your current usage is high.

Nothing being and then after some time it has dropped a little higher than normal at this time.

This happens every so often and I don't understand what causes this?
    Level 1
    @JoeSoap

It's the electric usage. The red light that comes on when your current usage is high.

Nothing being and then after some time it has dropped a little higher than normal at this time.

This happens every so often and I don't understand what causes this?
    Level 43
    Hi @RK1

It's likely to be something like your fridge motor kicking in. As it starts there's probably a spike in the current it pulls but as the IHD refreshes around every 6 seconds, most often than not it goes unnoticed.
    I see it occasionally but when the IHD refreshes (6 secs) it drops down to normal.
    Level 1
    @Andy65

It was a good 10 minutes, I spent the at least 5 minutes checking everything, trying to find the cause. Then I switched IHD off. Still high usage showing, sat watching for a while then it reduced to normal usage.

A few days ago a helicopter was flying around the area everytime it was over the house my usage would increase.
    kids were finding it amusing while I'm having a freak out session.

Could there be a problem with my IHD?
    When the engineer fitted in he did tell me it was a refurbished unit???
    Level 91
    @RK1

It does sound freaky. If your daily energy use is not causing you alarm then possibly just some interference causing the red light to illuminate without there actually being any high usage.

Why not download the Hildebrand Bright App? It will allow you to see your actual consumption down to every half-hour so you can log when you see the red light and then when the same period shows on the app you can see if there was an actual spike at the same time.

I have the app, as does @Andy65 and we’re both fans of it.
    Level 56
    My IHD is showing high usage, over double what I normaly use at this time of day. I have checked everything but nothing extra being used.

All family sat in the same room and suddenly IHD went into red zone.

Has anyone seen this before and can anyone tell me what could be causing this?

My IHD has a button (applying to the electricity) that shows 'So far today' and can be pressed changing to 'So far this month' 'So far this year' (all in kWh) and more importantly 'Usage Now' (in kW). So ATM mine is stating 468W - this PC, TV, Heated throw, Couple of lights, Router, Virgin 360 box and Virgin Hub (in modem mode), landline and the F/F compressor going. Pretty much what I would expect. If most of these things are turned off this can be as low as 35-40W. However this will immediately go to over 100W when the F/F compressor kicks in (low hum heard on mine). I'd try to use this usage now function (if you are not already using this) to try and pin it down. BTW you haven't got an American style F/F? Their usage rates can be much higher seemingly than the 'normal' sort especially when the compressor motor kicks in . Check also that the IHD has the same meter reading as your meter(s).
    Level 56
    @RK1

It does sound freaky. If your daily energy use is not causing you alarm then possibly just some interference causing the red light to illuminate without there actually being any high usage.

Why not download the Hildebrand Bright App? It will allow you to see your actual consumption down to every half-hour so you can log when you see the red light and then when the same period shows on the app you can see if there was an actual spike at the same time.

I have the app, as does @Andy65 and we’re both fans of it.

I have it as well and confirm that it is good at seeing how your energy changes at certain times of the day - nightime is consistent apart from the F/F compressor going on/off (as you would expect), and you can pinpoint why your usage was high during a particular period on the previous day - e.g. oven was on, tumble dryer was on etc.
    Level 43
    I would have thought @RK1 that if it were the IHD then it would read high most/all of the time and not just a spike, it might be worth doing a few checks with something like a kettle.
    How much extra power does it show? Is it the same increase each time? If it is it may point to an appliance.