Should I stay on fixed plan charging over the price cap?

Level 1
    Hi. I renewed into the Next Online v17 tariff on 4th August, with the below unit prices. Just hoping for some advice as to whether I should stay on this plan or switch to the standard variable one? Nothing I can see when signing into my e.on account seems to imply that any price cap savings will be passed on for existing Fixed rate tariffs that exceed it, which is slightly worrying. I'm starting to wonder if I should have switched off this as soon as the cap was announced. I'm in the West Midlands if that helps.

Electricity
    Next Online v17
    50.73 p/kWh 48.13 p/day

Gas
    Next Online v17
    12.89 p/kWh 27.22 p/day
  • 5 Replies

Level 79
    Don't do anything would be my advice. Your tariff will be automatically adjusted by the billing system.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 91
    If you wait until the new rates are available you will have definite information. then you can compute the figures properly. You can exit Eon next fixed tariffs at any time penalty free.

It is possible that one of your standing charges under the fix could be lower than on the variable. your mix of fuel use could affect the calculation.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 91
    @parodyse

I too switched to v17 a couple of days after you did. I expect that the rates of v17 after 1st October will be close to the EPG. I have chosen to wait and see what we get. It’s possible we will be compensated back to the date we fixed.

For what you might save by switching now compared to what you might gain in a few days, I would avoid the hassle of trying to contact customer service and just sit tight.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 57
    Hi. I renewed into the Next Online v17 tariff on 4th August, with the below unit prices. Just hoping for some advice as to whether I should stay on this plan or switch to the standard variable one? Nothing I can see when signing into my e.on account seems to imply that any price cap savings will be passed on for existing Fixed rate tariffs that exceed it, which is slightly worrying. I'm starting to wonder if I should have switched off this as soon as the cap was announced. I'm in the West Midlands if that helps.

Electricity
    Next Online v17
    50.73 p/kWh 48.13 p/day

Gas
    Next Online v17
    12.89 p/kWh 27.22 p/day

The terms of the EPG state that the reduction in fixed tariffs will be circa 4p/kWh (Gas) and 17p/kWh (Elec) down to no lower than the SVT rates which, for your region (Midlands), are detailed in Regional Rates/SC from October 1st

Name:  Midlands_SVT Cap.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  21.5 KB

So the SVT floor, for your region looks to be 32.76p/kWh (E) and your v17 tariff will reduce by approx 17p/kWh down to just above the cap @ 33.73p (50.73-17). So say 3000kWh of electricity over a year will cost you £29.10 more than the cap. For (G) your 12.89p will only reduce to the cap itself @ 10.33p so no difference. Your SC though for both utilities are both a little less on v17 than the cap. So you need to crunch some usage numbers and factor in the standing charge difference to determine which is cheaper overall.
    Last edited by Mailman; 27-09-22 at 21:18. Reason: word deletion
    Level 1
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Really appreciate you all taking the time to have a look!