I've disliked standing charges ever since they were introduced @retrotecchie as they are disproportionate for low users. I'm now struggling to think how I managed to squander a tenth of a cubic metre of gas in the first place.

The regulatory bodies such as Ofgem and Ofcom are nothing short of useless when it comes to the consumer. Changing the subject slightly but when inflation was at 10%, 'some' were complaining that their mobile or broadband was increasing mid contract by 14%. They weren't interested or were too ignorant to realise that when signing up they'd agreed to an annual increase of CPI plus 3.9% or whatever, and that inflation at that level would be temporary and was nothing more than a blip compared to the 70s.
As a result Ofcom insisted that telecoms providers must now tell customers how much their contract will increase in £s when they sign up. BT/EE knew this was coming so in a bid to 'look good' from a PR point of view to the complainers, announced that their broadband will increase by £5 per year and air time £3 per year. Those complainers, who let's be honest, probably couldn't even turn a calculator on, were over the moon with themselves. I though, now know that my contracts will increase by more than they ever have before, and will continue to do so. It's a good job I've got Ofcom looking after my interests!