£400 energy bills discount announcement

Level 6
    I don't pay by Direct Debit as I like to retain some measure of control over when exactly I pay my bills, so if I pay monthly by Bank Debit card (which for some reason Eon class as a 'cash payment') when I receive my bill, how do I receive the credit? Will it be automatically applied to my billing account with Eon, or into my bank account, or by redeemable voucher?
    Level 78
    I don't pay by Direct Debit as I like to retain some measure of control over when exactly I pay my bills, so if I pay monthly by Bank Debit card (which for some reason Eon class as a 'cash payment') when I receive my bill, how do I receive the credit? Will it be automatically applied to my billing account with Eon, or into my bank account, or by redeemable voucher?

In these cases it'll be applied as an account credit to your E.On account and taken off the bills automatically. If the credit ends up paying off the entire bill for the month, you won't need to make a payment.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 1
    @DebF_EONNext

Hi I’m a bit concerned with EONNext announcement that fixed direct debits are just going to get a reduction in the direct debit.

The way it works now is the direct debit pay money into the account regardless of what the actual bill is.

if I have a fixed direct debit of £100, and my bill came to £120, how you’re doing it just means I pay £34 but still get charged at £120?! That doesn’t make any sense when I should have paid £54 for the bill.

Surely the discount should be actually applied to the energy account to actually reduce the bill.

My preference would be that the direct debit actually remains the same, not reduced and the discount added to the bill

Can you please clarify?
    Level 43
    Hi @56JohnC

I'm with you but my understanding is that this is how the Government have said that it is to be applied, I don't think it is a decision by eon-next.

I suspect that things will change between now and October anyway.
    Level 1
    I currently pay my gas via direct debit and electricity via payment dongle / meter, how will i receive my monthly credit? will it be via my direct debit on the gas or via dongle on my electricity or is this something i have to apply for?
    Level 91
    The credit will only be applied to electricity accounts. If my account were to be in the happy situation of the credit exceeding my normal DD then the balance would be transferred to my bank account. See earlier in the thread for how the credit is dealt with on electric prepayment meters.
    Last edited by meldrewreborn; 15-08-22 at 23:17. Reason: Clarity
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 91
    @DebF_EONNext

Hi I’m a bit concerned with EONNext announcement that fixed direct debits are just going to get a reduction in the direct debit.

The way it works now is the direct debit pay money into the account regardless of what the actual bill is.

if I have a fixed direct debit of £100, and my bill came to £120, how you’re doing it just means I pay £34 but still get charged at £120?! That doesn’t make any sense when I should have paid £54 for the bill.

Surely the discount should be actually applied to the energy account to actually reduce the bill.

My preference would be that the direct debit actually remains the same, not reduced and the discount added to the bill

Can you please clarify?

you account with eon next will get the full credit of you normal DD, but the lesser amount will be deducted from your bank account
    Level 91
    @Worried

The first post in this thread details how the £400 will be paid. The way I read it, your monthly £66/67 will be paid to your account in the first week of every month so your bills (that you have to pay) will be reduced by that amount. You will definitely get it though.

Companies prefer you to pay by DD, probably because they try to keep your account in credit, so they apply a discount to your tariff to encourage you agree to pay that way.

Hope this helps.
    Level 43
    why should I be charged more for not paying by direct debit? I have zero balance on my account and use the app to pay the exact bill but by not paying by direct debit I get penalised. There is no requirement for any staff interaction to process an automated payment so why different charges? Will I still receive the discount with no direct debit in place?

I don't disagree with you @Worried but those are the Terms and Conditions. I suppose the main reason is that if a customer doesn't pay by DD, the onus is on the customer to make the correct payment by the date due.
    I know it's frustrating, annoying etc but you may get a better response if you just make one post in the correct thread such as 'Accounts and Billing', rather than repeating the post in random threads.