Gas Meter Not Submitting Readings - IHD not showing Gas Consumption

Level 5
    I had both my electric and gas meters replaced last month with smart meters.

All was working fine until recently when the IHD would freeze after a few hours. Removing the battery was the only way to power cycle the unit.
    Since then the IHD only detects and displays Electric readings.

It generates 'weak signal mover closer to meter' messages even though its within 2metres of the electric meter (located in the kitchen)
    My online account also shows that there has not yet been a gas reading submitted.
    My profile is set to provide daily readings, I have just changed it to half hourly.
    The Gas meter is on the other side of the house cavity wall to the electric meter
    So that's several issues???

The electric meter LED strip does not flash.
    The LED (upper left side of display) flashes once every 10 seconds
    The LED (lower left side of display) flashes once every 40 or so seconds

I emailed hi@eonnext.com on the 14th July with photos etc. No reply so far.

What a carry on!

photos attached
    Attached Images Attached Images     
  • 4 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 5
    Best Answer
    Just to update on this. The electric meter was replaced along with the in home display unit. The electric meter is now forwarding both the gas and electric readings fine now.

However, After a day or so the new in home display froze again..........

The fix is one that has been proposed elsewhere in the community and is to allow the unit battery to go flat, remove the battery for say half an hour, re-fit the battery and plug the charging lead in. Having done that the in home display has behaved perfectly for several weeks now.
    Level 91
    The energy suppliers are a bit two faced about IHDs. They stress how good they are when they want you to take a smart meter, and then say they're only an accessory rather than being core when they don't work.

clearly the gas meter being the other side of the wall will make communication more difficult than meters which are colocated. But it's hardly a unique situation and the systems should be able to cope on a new installation. Our resident expert @theunknowntech may be able to diagnose this, but in my view getting an engineer back to get things fixed would be my preferred option.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 78
    If there's no activity AT ALL on the Comms Hub, then it's either not been installed properly or developed a serious fault. This can only be repaired with an engineer visit.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 78
    As for the IHD, well... The IHDL SmartView 2 is the worst, most terrible, crashiest and most horrible IHD you could ever have the misfortune of being given. Check out my thread if you'd like a replacement that's way better. But you'll need to get the Comms Hub fixed first!

https://community.eonnext.com/thread...ve-IHD-options