Pay back debt by card

Level 1
    On the old eon account you used to be able to pay off some of your debt by card in addition to the amount collected weekly. I don't seem to be able to do this since moving to eon next , where would I find that? I've had this debt (originally from a breakup 25+yes ago, where I moved out and left the electric in my name 😭) ....anyway I'm sick of it so I'm trying my hardest to pay it off every month....still got over £1k to go tho....any help to find the right place would be great, I'm probably just blindTia
  • 6 Replies

• Best Answer

Community Team
    Best Answer
    Hi @Cinderellao9 - Welcome to the Community 😄

With your Smart Pay As You Go Meter, your debt will be set as a separate part of your credit balance, and collected back daily (based on however much your agreed weekly repayment rate is)

I'm not sure what you're referring to exactly, but I'm assuming with E.ON Energy, you mean you had the option online to make a payment towards your debt balance without topping up your meter, is that correct?

You can do this with us here at E.ON Next every now and then if you'd prefer to bring your debt balance down when you have some extra money to do so. Currently, you would have to call us so we can take a payment over the phone, but this could change in the future (as you can see online, your debt balance is listed separately, so this feature online could be possible at a later date, and I'll propose this to our tech team for consideration, so thanks for letting us know it's something you'd like to see.)

Pete 😊
    Last edited by PeterT_EONNext; 19-04-22 at 15:59.
    Cool 😎 Calm 😌 Collected 🙌 - Here to help, or just for a chat if you like!

Do you agree with a comment? Give the member a 👍
    Got the right answer to a query? Click 'Best Answer' ✅
    Can't find any help using the Search function or by scrolling through our Community? 🤔 Ask a question by starting a new thread in a sub-forum here!
    Find all the ways to get in touch with E.ON Next here
    Level 79
    Hi @Cinderellao9 ,

For something like this, I think customer service can help make the arrangements over the phone. Any manual repayments you make will reduce the remaining debt balance and be taken off the meter on your next top-up - the meter key will have an additional instruction for the meter to remove that portion of debt balance.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 1
    @theunknowntech thanks for replying, it was really useful to be able to add some extra to the debt payments when I have it. It used to just be an option under the debt information to pay back by card. Suppose I'm just going to have to keep ringing them and hopefully they can take a payment over the phone, I don't really want to set up a regular payment, as like I said it's just when I've got some spare money, which varies each month
    Level 79
    No worries. I'll ask @PeterT_EONNext if he's able to advise on any other options as well.
    Level 79
    By the way, once you get it down to below £30 or so, I have some additional advice. Don't make any further manual repayments beyond that point, otherwise you might overpay and have to get a refund. The meter will stop taking the debt automatically once the remaining balance reaches zero and debt collection mode will be disabled at that point. E.On will also know because future top-ups would notify them that debt recovery has been completed and disabled.
    Level 1
    Thank you both. Yes I was able to make additional payments towards the debt alone on the previous eon app. I will have to ring up and just hope in the future it's added to eon_next too.
    thank you for replying....I will stop searching around for it now 🤣