Gas meter not sending readings & need IHD

Level 78
    Sadly, that's not something my superpowers can help you with, so this is where we'll have to part ways, if you understand what I mean. However, if you were to call them, tell them theunknowntech sent you their way and that he's already completed a diagnosis so you just need a fix implemented. If you provide a link to this forum thread, that might help.

But first, let me try the easy route. @Beki_EONNext you're up!
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 6
    Thanks for all your help you have done more on this in a week than anybody has achieved in 2 years. It got put into the "too hard" to sort box and nobody was looking into it and just kept fobbing me off. I really do appreciate your help.

Hopefully @Beki_EONNext can help.
    Level 78
    Hehehe, trust me... Nothing is too hard to sort out. Especially with myself, Blastoise186 and a few of our friends helping out across two forums. While this forum is (mostly) a sort of theunknowntech show, a few others have recently been helping with some of the threads. Blastoise186 being well, a Blastoise, dominates the OVO Forum with his skills, but he has a lot of friends helping him out as well on there (and he needs them!).

All of us put our time in for free and we don't give up easily. The fact that we're not trying to meet targets or answer 50+ calls a day helps a lot too. In actual fact, the help and advice we give benefits more than just the user who asked the question, a lot of it provides value to potentially thousands or even tens of thousands of users at once. Trust me when I say this. Writing that kind of content takes a lot of time and resources, but we do it because we want to maximise the reach and impact we can get - and we already overpower a lot of big players with the SEO that our content gets. Between all the threads and guides both myself and Blastoise have ever been involved with, I wouldn't be surprised if we hit one million combined views sooner or later...
    Level 6
    I saw from some other posts that @Bennie_EONNext had mentioned the team was very busy so I thought I would contact customer services myself. I didn't get a great response and as expected they don't think I need an engineer. I detailed the issue and linked to this forum but to no avail. Arrrgh!!! After 2 years of getting nowhere and then @theunknowntech amazing help I thought this was going to get sorted.

@Beki_EONNext Can you help out?

Hello Ross,
    Hope you're well
    I have looked through your account you wouldn't need an engineer as we have lost connection to the data communication company regarding your gas I shall relay this to the relevant department to have the connection re-established.
    If there's anything else you would like assistance with please don't hesitate to get back in touch.
    Kind regards
    Last edited by sirbillynomates; 25-03-22 at 20:34.
    Level 78
    Sigh... If the meter was a Flonidan UniFlo, getting more diagnostics out of it would have been pretty easy. Alas, some smart meter manufacturers are smarter than others, and some seem to deliberately make it difficult to diagnose issues...

I should have seen that coming from customer service. If the gas meter itself is not commissioned, then it's impossible to remotely commission it - you need to have an engineer visit in person to set it up. And the GAS status LED would have told me if a gas meter was paired. The fact it's dark tells me all I need to know.
    Level 91
    @sirbillynomates

Customer services i8s the only way. But you've a variety of methods you can use.
    @sirbillynomates Hey Beki here 👋
    Thanks for the tag and thanks for you patience in a response. I did have a quick look at your account and passed it over to the smart team and they will get back to me with an update. I think it will need to go to the DCC - this is the same issue as my gas meter 😅 Quite ironic really that mine doesn't work either. Perhaps I should send mine over to them too!
    Level 6
    Thanks @Beki_EONNext much appreciated.
    @theunknowntech has diagnosed this as the gas meter not being commissioned when installed.

"If the gas meter itself is not commissioned, then it's impossible to remotely commission it - you need to have an engineer visit in person to set it up. And the GAS status LED would have told me if a gas meter was paired. The fact it's dark tells me all I need to know."

A couple of questions - Does the smart team just work remotely or will they arrange for an engineer to visit and what is the estimated response time?

Hope you get your meter sorted soon.

Thanks for all your help!
    Level 6
    @theunknowntech

Customer services are reluctantly going to send out an engineer but have said this could be chargeable and want me to confirm I accept the “possible” charge before booking the appointment.

I shall book you a faulty meter this way your gas will be commissioned as you have requested it and if the engineer deems this a chargeable appointment then they will notify us the charge that will be applied is 100.93 to £157.86.

I have asked a couple of times if E.On consider commissioning the meter to be a chargeable activity as it should have been done at installation but haven’t had an answer. I suppose the complication is that it is a new build and E.On didn’t install the original kit.

I don’t think it should be chargeable as it was incorrectly installed and as E.On are my current supplier so they need to sort the issue but wanted some advice. Also, the way it is going to be booked as a faulty meter and then the engineer turns up and says that “it isn’t faulty it just hasn’t been commissioned” leads me to think I’m going to be charged for an incorrect call out.
    Level 91
    @sirbillynomates

It should not be down to the engineer to determine the charge / no charge. The engineer will report back on what he found and had to correct. Eon Next will decide whether to levy a charge based upon what the engineer has reported. You have the opportunity to ensure that the engineer makes an as full as possible report on the issue so as to leave no wriggle room in the future.

But BT do the same - they'll send out an engineer but if no fault is found with their equipment they'll charge for the visit. This is because many people do not check whether the fault is internal by making a few checks.