What's the point of a Smart meter if I can't get a smart display?

Level 1
    Hi all,
    I've bought my first property Dec 2021 and moved in.
    The house was with Eon and I've taken over, remaining with Eon.

I called up to ask about the smart display and was told that a new one can be sent out for £30.00 after speaking to the smart home team, but they were busy and advised to contact later.

When I did contact later, they told me due to the migration to Eon Next, all of this is on pause and to wait till after this.

So on rolls my migration date, I now contact and was told no such thing exists and I was lied to.

I feel like no one at eon knows anything as each person I speak to gives a different answer than the last.

I believe the old smart display may be somewhere I'll have to ask the previous owner, all I want to do is just be able to see my usage on a display! If the owner has lost it, how do I get a new one sent out or can I buy my own as Eon are just shrugging shoulders or saying they can't help.

What's the point of all this advertisement of smart meters if it's not going to actually work?
  • 4 Replies

Level 91
    I sympathise - to me these so called smart meters are adding to the issues that customers services are having to deal with, to the detriment of possibly more important issues.

The migration issue is important, as in this case its eon moving your to Eon next, which is another company in the Eon group. It seems to me that the main reason for this is that Eon next utilises a more modern and cheaper account management system - so it saves Eon money. On the other hand it causes lots of disruption to the customer, as you are experiencing.

But as you bought your home (congratulations) the in house display might be with the previous owner. it could also be in the rubbish. Either way its not the fault of your energy supplier.

If you post some pictures of your meter(s) @theunknowntech might be able to detail whether you can purchase an in home display. This is a technical matter - not every meter and in house display are compatible.
    Level 1
    I'll see if I can get a picture of the smart meter when I'm home. I take it this is the electric meter I check for readings right? or is it a separate box altogether?
    I just find it weird that given the energy companies wanting to push on you taking up a smart meter for all the benefits, you'd think there was a way for them to identify this themselves without me needing to do the work.

I get that it's not the cost/fault of the actual supplier and I have no problems paying for a new one myself. I'm more disappointed that:
    a) the onus is falling on the customer to chase this themselves
    b) Eon don't have a concise response to provide as every single person I've spoken to all told me different things.
    Level 1
    I sympathise - to me these so called smart meters are adding to the issues that customers services are having to deal with, to the detriment of possibly more important issues.

The migration issue is important, as in this case its eon moving your to Eon next, which is another company in the Eon group. It seems to me that the main reason for this is that Eon next utilises a more modern and cheaper account management system - so it saves Eon money. On the other hand it causes lots of disruption to the customer, as you are experiencing.

But as you bought your home (congratulations) the in house display might be with the previous owner. it could also be in the rubbish. Either way its not the fault of your energy supplier.

If you post some pictures of your meter(s) @theunknowntech might be able to detail whether you can purchase an in home display. This is a technical matter - not every meter and in house display are compatible.

Also, thanks for your help here, I appreciate the response :)
    Level 78
    Thanks. There may be options to get a new IHD without involving E.On, but I need to identify your meters before I can recommend one. The last thing I want to do is tell you to get Option X when it won't be compatible and you should have gone for Option Y instead.

I'm monitoring this thread now, so I'll respond to you as soon as possible after you reply.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!