Dramatic increase in Direct Debit

Level 1
    Hi

I have just received an email stating my direct debit for electricity will increase to £110.29 a month from 1/4/22 - the current amount is £10 a month. There is very little usage at the property and a recent meter reading has been submitted.

Is there a way you can check if the figure shown in the email is correct?

I was expecting an increase in energy costs but not on this scale.

I have sent a response to the email containing all the account details.

Please reply as soon as possible.

Thanks,
    Andy
    Last edited by capers626; 11-03-22 at 19:20. Reason: Additional content
  • 2 Replies

Level 79
    Howdy @capers626 .

Sure thing. @Beki_EONNext is better placed than me though.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 91
    For most regions of the country £10 per month will not even cover the Standing charge!

This is because all the costs of transferring customers to new suppliers have been loaded into the electricity standing charge. Gas standing charge is little changed. this is because virtually all customers have an electricity account, but not all customers have a gas account. While the price cap increase over gas and electricity is said to be 54% for average user (who is that?) the increase for this property will be far far higher.

However an increase to £110 per month is very high.

The DD should be consumption for a period of time multiplied by the unit price, plus standing charge, plus or minus debits/credits on the account spread over the number of months in the period. You can work this out for yourself to challenge your suppliers figure.