Help with smart meter and solar panels

View Tag Cloud
    Level 1
    HI all, I recently moved into a property which already had a smart meter and solar panels installed. Im not really sure how they work together, I tried calling but after a while on hold, the guy didnt know either.

Are solar panels taken into consideration with our tariff?
    And how does the smart meter work with solar panels, if the solar panels are generating electricity, would the smart meter essentially stop going up until the electricity has ran out?
    Or does the smart meter just show the total amount of electricity used in the house and then the bill would be lower due to electricity from the solar panels?
  • 1 Reply

Level 79
    Hey there @Georgia ,

I'm theunknowntech, and I'm a forum volunteer. Some say I am just Blastoise186 playing pranks, and that if Blastoise186 was really here, he'd use his well recognised avatar. All we know is, I'm not a Blastoise186!

I can try to figure this out between myself and Blastoise, but we need to see photos of your meters to give you a full answer. In the meantime, here's something to get you going.

Smart Meters can be compatible with solar panels provided they're configured properly. If nothing is being imported, the import register will cease to move until imports resume. Exports are also tracked separately in a different account, so cannot interact with your bills.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!