Digital Metre running too fast

Level 1
    Hi all I’m hoping that someone could help me with an issue that I’ve had ever since Eon fitted a new digital (not smart) electric metre 7years ago. Since then my electricity bills have sky rocketed to watch above the average for a 4 bed detached house, despite the fact that I am careful. I’ve changed suppliers a few times since then and have raised this issue with them however because they didn’t fit the metre they just didn’t seem to want to help. I’m now with Eon Next. I’ve requested a smart metre so that I can check my usage but have been told that I don’t have a LAN in the area so they can’t fit one. I don’t know what I can do to check the metre is running correctly.
  • 2 Replies

Level 91
    Meters can be faulty. Your supplier is OBLIGED to check your meter upon request. There is good advice from Which? in this link

I think my energy meter is faulty, what can I do? - Which?

https://community.eonnext.com/members/2153-theunknowntech is a whizz on this sort of stuff and I'm sure he'll be on hand to assist, with some practical tests you can carry out for yourself.

But its also possible that the meter is accurate and the older one wasn't. You don't say what your consumption is, or whether you heat with another fuel - so we can't comment on what is too high - there are so many variables.
    Level 78
    Hi @jusrob ,

I'm preparing to go through a Creep Test with you, but I'd like to see what I'm working with first. Please post photos of your current meter(s) as this helps me to understand the situation better. Once that's done, I'll start the Creep Test process. It's worth noting that your current meter is already over halfway through service life though, so that might be a factor.

Thanks
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!