Energy saving

Level 91
    Every penny saved is another penny earned.

Try this for size...the way you cook a meal can make all the difference too. I know this because I'm medieval about my meter readings and owning an electric cooker and hob, and as part of my energy monitoring routine (manual meter readings and an Excel spreadsheet) I often take a meter reading before and after cooking a dinner.

Especially if my missus is cooking, as she's not as unit conscious as I am. Well, she would be if the 'leccy bills came out of her pocket!

Take two identical meals, one cooked by herself a few weeks ago and one cooked by me on Sunday just gone. Times being hard, we usually just graze on stale bread, dry cornflakes or the smell of an oily rag most days, but once or twice a month, we decide we'll spoil ourselves and cook a dinner of sorts.

Peas and carrots all from the freezer, but originally from our garden, so that's the veg. A small/med Morrisons chicken,£3-£4 or so. A slack handful of spuds. Gravy granules because it's quick and they're already in the pantry.

Assume same size portions, same size chicken, give or take, and same cooking time. We're going for roast chicken, roast taters, boiled peas and carrots and a splash of gravy, right? Nothing too outrageous or fancy, just plain old fashioned grub. And yet for us, in these tough times, a veritable banquet.

Assume same rules apply for cooking time for the bird, parboiling time for the potatoes and that preparation is irrelevant. We're just focussing on energy.

Ladies and gentlemen (or rather, the wife and I), start your engines and get those dinners cooked!

Herself scored almost exactly 11 kWh or about £3.85. Me? I'll tell you in a sec, but here's how we cook dinner.

Her: Put oven on to preheat to 200°C.
    Me: You don't need to preheat. It's a fan oven!

Her: Fill big saucepan from tap, add potatoes and a pinch of salt. Put on large ring and turn to 6
    Me: Boil just enough water in the kettle to cover the potatos in a medium pan. No salt. Cover with lid and put on small ring. Turn to 2

Her: Lightly grease roasting tin, whop in the bird and sling in the preheated oven.
    Me: As above, only turning fan oven on as I put the bird in. At same time, put a little oil in a small roasting tin and put that in the oven.

Her: Spuds are just starting to come to the boil, so turn down to 3. Wait 20 minutes.
    Me: Spuds are not far off ready and can be turned down to 1 to just keep hot.

Her: Fill medium saucepan with water from the cold tap, add peas and carrots, pinch of salt. On small ring, set to 6.
    Me: Pop out into the garden for a quick puff on my pipe, let the dogs out for a wee, then come back in and wash my hands.

Her: Taters are ready so drain them into sink then throw them in a small roasting dish with some oil and put 'em in the oven with the bird.
    Me: Grab colander and drain spuds, but draining the water into a smaller pan and putting that back on the hob ring, still set to 1. Add drained spuds to pan of hot oil that's already up to temp in the oven.

Her: Fill kettle and set to boil. Put gravy granules in small pan. When boiled, add water to pan, stir until right, then put on hob. Simmer on 2.
    Me: Add peas and carrots to small pan with the still hot potato water, cover with lid. Leave on 1.

Her: Check bird and spuds. Another 5 minutes.
    Me: Yep, another five minutes, perhaps. I don't need to open the oven to check. Turn oven off.

Her: Chicken and taters done. Turn oven off. Leave bird on side to rest. Drain veg into sink. Hobs off. Job done.
    Me: Yep, all good. Drain veg water into a small pan. Put back on the still hot hob that the veg were on. Add gravy granules, stir for a bit. Everything off.

Dinner is served folks. I'd love to offer you a small glass of wine to go with it, but you know how it is at the moment...times hard, and all that?

Oh, hang on a minute. I'd better just read the meter....

A nadger's under 7kWh.

Or about £2.45 in energy. Saving.... £1.40 or so. For exactly the same meal cooked on exactly the same oven.

Tell you what, good people. I'll cook the next couple of meals as well and maybe I can save up for a cheeky glass of Lidl's finest budget white after all. Cheers!

But, speaking seriously.

1. Boiling water in the kettle is about three times as economical, or a third of the energy, as heating up cold water in a pan on the hob. And you only need to boil it once.

2. If you have a modern electric fan oven it DOES NOT need preheating. Honest guv, it doesn't. No matter what Nigella Lawson says.

3. Likewise a modern oven can be turned off a few mins before the end of cooking. They're insulated. Unless you open the door, it won't cool very much.

4. Retain all the valuable heat you have used in your cooking water, rather than heating another cold pan up. Use a lid!

5. Not only will your dinner be cheaper to cook, it probably tastes better too and will be better for you.

Why? Because the potato water you have retained will have a little starch in it. It won't affect your veg, but when it ends up in the gravy....mmm.

Not only that, when you cook your veg, some of the vitamins and nutrients (and a bit of flavour) leach out into the water. Make your gravy with the same water...everything ends up in the gravy. You're not making your gravy with plain old water, but in essence you are making it with a veg boullion.

And no wasted heat poured down the sink at any point, or bringing any water up to the boil from cold, except the once in the kettle.

I'm probably teaching Granny to suck eggs here with many of you, and I apologise for the long winded post, but if there are a few of you who can pick up one or two energy saving cooking tips...and a few people can save a few pence here and there....

Over time, it all adds up. Cheers 🥂

We cook with Gas. I've never really thought about cooking costs. We have a Thermal solar panel that heats our hot water and my summer gas consumption is really very low. The sun doesn't shine strongly every day, so the boiler still cuts in occasionally. So, the summer gas consumption is cooking and some water heating.

It comes out @ 9.5 kWh per day for May- Sep. and the other months? 68.7 kWh per day. The contrast is really stark with the winter weather and water heating becoming significant factors.

But your analysis of cooking costs is interesting - it puts convenience meals cooked in a microwave back into contention. Usually decried as being an expensive way to feed the family, in energy terms it might actually be cheap.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

The other half goes to a weekly support group for disabled/disadvantaged folk. On a Wednesday they have a lunch which used to be a proper cooked affair, but now they just buy in a job lot of 'ready meals'' from Wiltshire Farm Foods and nuke them in the popty ping (popty is Welsh for 'oven', so a 'popty ping' is a microwave).

The food costs have gone up, but the energy costs have halved, apparently.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    … I can endorse @JoeSoap description of the Trivento Malbec, it’s very good…
    A good alternative is Beefsteak Club. Normally £8 a bottle but often available for £6 or £7… and then get the 25% off for six.

Was £28 a bottle where I was eating last week 😳
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap
    Our everyday red is mcguigan black red only £5.50, very easy drinking.
    Level 92
    @JoeSoap

Our nearest Tesco used to be a two hour, fifty mile round trip away. They recently opened a much closer one - only 45 minutes each way and about a 38 mile round trip. As it happens, I'm passing it on Monday and as I have a load of Clubcard whatsits saved up, I might just see what's on their shelves.

I shall note those two recommendations and see if they have any. Does the 25% apply to any six bottles, or do they all need to be the same? I've not bought any alcohol all year so I need to think about getting a few bits in for the Festering Season.

It's not that I don't drink. I don't drink all that much at home because herself doesn't drink alcohol, so I usually do my drinking elsewhere, but my wine cellar was already pretty full thanks to a favourable run of results at our local pub quiz (two bottles for a win and a bottle for second) and we'd had three wins and two seconds on the bounce before the pub shut down. However, I finished my reserves back in the summer at the village Jubilee party. Fortunately, I won a couple of raffle prizes, which were six bottles of wine and a litre of Baileys...but those are a fading memory now. Time to procure supplies, and those sound like good deals. 👍

My white of choice would normally be Oyster Bay and I'm rather partial to Leopard's Leap for a red, but given the trouser pocket situation I'm always happy to try new suggestions when the price is right.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 29-10-22 at 21:09.
    Level 91
    Usually any six, but the offers change from time to time. Tesco money off vouchers usually exclude alcohol, sainsbury exclude sprits, others are OK.
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

Right. Well, use the Clubcard vouchers for groceries, then, and what I save out of the grocery money...I may be able to work something to my advantage.

My usual shop is Morrisons...but the wife watches what I put in the trolley like a hawk🙄
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie

I think the offer is on until Monday but check in store. Any six bottles but not under £5 a bottle or fortified wine. When a wine is on offer with a couple of quid off and then you get 25% off on top it’s not to be missed in my opinion. I buy almost all my wine when the offer is on.

Do read the small print on the poster to be sure as I have been caught out at the checkout in the past.
    Level 92
    @JoeSoap

I actually know the bloke who works in their wine section so I'm sure he'll be able to explain any offers for me. Going back five or so years, we worked together part time at our local Bang and Screw before they closed it down.

Back in the day, B&Q liked to employ the more, er, how can I put it? Mature, or 'time served' (our friend @meldrewreborn would say chronologically gifted) trades or ex-trades to work as customer advisors so when a punter asked a technical question, someone could actually give a technical answer and possibly even a demonstration on how to do something. My area of expertise was electrics and plumbing. My mate was, and still is, a pretty handy painter and decorator.

As luck would have it, the Tesco took on a lot of ex B&Q staff and he was one of them. Me...I ended up in hospital for a couple of years.