Energy saving

Level 91
    Oh, I can’t believe I forgot to say… I love Trivento Malbec. Normally £8 a bottle in Tesco, on offer at £6, then 25% off for six bottles so £4.50 a bottle.

Really nice wine, but hurry…
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 92
    I'll have to cook a couple of dinners pretty soon then...

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    Four?

Now you’re talking my language 😂

When I read of your hardships I often think of The Four Yorkshiremen 🤣
    Level 92
    @JoeSoap

Yorkshire?! Hardships? That particular motif can only have one possible destination...

"I'll never forget that first day at t'pit...
    Me an' mi father worked a 72 hour shift, then wi walked home 43 mile through t'snow in us bare feet, huddled inside us clothes med out o' old sacks.
    Eventually we trudged over t'hill until wi could see t'street light twinklin' in our village.
    Mi father smiled down at mi through t'icicles hangin' off his nose. "Nearly home now lad", he said.
    We stumbled into t'house and stood there freezin' cold and tired out, shiverin' and miserable, in front o' t' meagre fire.
    Any road, mi mam says "Cheer up, lads. I've got you some nice brown bread and butter for yer tea."
    Ee, mi father went crackers. He reached out and gently pulled mi mam towards 'im by t'throat. "You big fat, idle ugly wart", he said. "You gret useless spawny-eyed parrot-faced wazzock." ('E had a way wi words, mi father. He'd bin to college, y'know). "You've been out playin' bingo all afternoon instead o' gettin' some proper snap ready for me an' this lad", he explained to mi poor, little, purple-faced mam.
    Then turnin' to me he said "Arthur", (He could never remember mi name), "here's half a crown. Nip down to t'chip 'oyl an' get us a nice piece o' 'addock for us tea. Man cannot live by bread alone."
    He were a reyt tater, mi father.
    He said as 'ow workin' folk should have some dignity an' pride an' self respect, an' as 'ow they should come home to summat warm an' cheerful.
    An' then he threw mi mam on t'fire.
    We didn't 'ave no tellies or shoes or bedclothes.
    We med us own fun in them days.
    Do you know, when I were a lad you could get a tram down into t'town, buy three new suits an' an ovvercoat, four pair o' good boots, go an' see Frank Randall at t'Palace Theatre, get blind drunk, 'ave some steak an' chips, bunch o' bananas an' three stone o' monkey nuts an' still 'ave change out of a farthing.
    We'd lots o' things in them days they 'aven't got today - rickets, diptheria, ****** and my, we did look well goin' to school wi' no backside in us trousers an' all us little 'eads painted purple because we 'ad ringworm.

They don't know they're born today!!!"
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie

I can’t believe I suggested you become childrens author in another thread, you’re clearly cut out for even higher things!

But I can endorse @JoeSoap description of the Trivento Malbec, it’s very good - we drink it at the Oval . Last time was as Surrey thrashed Yorkshire to win the County Championship recently …………..
    Not particularly diplomatic I Suppose
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

Not my words, but those of the legendary Tony Capstick.

In a former, more affluent (yet perhaps less 'free') life, when I lived and worked in the old country, I could afford the cost of going to the cricket but rarely managed to find the time. Now I have the time, there's not much county cricket round here to be had, unless I fancy a long schlepp to Sophia Gardens and back to watch Glamorgan.

My old 'home ground' was the Hampshire Rose Bowl (now the Ageas Bowl?) in West End, on the outskirts of Southampton. On the opposite side of the road was the old Moorgreen Hospital. Several years ago, they flat-packed the old hospital and developed some houses and luxury flats on the site.

Imagine my delight when my son announced that he and his girlfriend had bought their first home together and when I first went down to see the place, it turned out to be a fifth floor apartment with a balcony on the new development with a wonderful view over the cricket ground. TMS commentary on the radio, sat on the balcony, glass of vino to hand, watching the action from a comfy recliner...that's my idea of 'saving energy', while the ladies spend the afternoon in town shopping.

Just a shame it's only once or twice a year.
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie

Ah yes… Capstick Comes Home.

I was thinking more of Monty Python…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ue7wM0QC5LE
    Last edited by JoeSoap; 29-10-22 at 01:14.
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap

Yorkshire?! Hardships? That particular motif can only have one possible destination...

"I'll never forget that first day at t'pit...
    Me an' mi father worked a 72 hour shift, then wi walked home 43 mile through t'snow in us bare feet, huddled inside us clothes med out o' old sacks.
    Eventually we trudged over t'hill until wi could see t'street light twinklin' in our village.
    Mi father smiled down at mi through t'icicles hangin' off his nose. "Nearly home now lad", he said.
    We stumbled into t'house and stood there freezin' cold and tired out, shiverin' and miserable, in front o' t' meagre fire.
    Any road, mi mam says "Cheer up, lads. I've got you some nice brown bread and butter for yer tea."
    Ee, mi father went crackers. He reached out and gently pulled mi mam towards 'im by t'throat. "You big fat, idle ugly wart", he said. "You gret useless spawny-eyed parrot-faced wazzock." ('E had a way wi words, mi father. He'd bin to college, y'know). "You've been out playin' bingo all afternoon instead o' gettin' some proper snap ready for me an' this lad", he explained to mi poor, little, purple-faced mam.
    Then turnin' to me he said "Arthur", (He could never remember mi name), "here's half a crown. Nip down to t'chip 'oyl an' get us a nice piece o' 'addock for us tea. Man cannot live by bread alone."
    He were a reyt tater, mi father.
    He said as 'ow workin' folk should have some dignity an' pride an' self respect, an' as 'ow they should come home to summat warm an' cheerful.
    An' then he threw mi mam on t'fire.
    We didn't 'ave no tellies or shoes or bedclothes.
    We med us own fun in them days.
    Do you know, when I were a lad you could get a tram down into t'town, buy three new suits an' an ovvercoat, four pair o' good boots, go an' see Frank Randall at t'Palace Theatre, get blind drunk, 'ave some steak an' chips, bunch o' bananas an' three stone o' monkey nuts an' still 'ave change out of a farthing.
    We'd lots o' things in them days they 'aven't got today - rickets, diptheria, ****** and my, we did look well goin' to school wi' no backside in us trousers an' all us little 'eads painted purple because we 'ad ringworm.

They don't know they're born today!!!"
    For those unfamiliar with Capstick Comes Home, it's worth sharing that it was a record that was voiced in a Yorkshire accent in the style of the old Hovis adverts like the one with the boy pushing his bike up the hill. Both videos are available to watch on YouTube.