Need a new IHD? SmartView 2 not working? Here's some alternative IHD options

Level 1
    @theunknowntech I have a SmartView 2 IHD. When it was installed ig connected and gives readings for the gas but has never connected or given readings from the electric. E.on next are billing me so I assume the meter is working. If I move the IHD more than a few feet from the gas meter it loses signal but electric isn't found even touching the meter.

I have ascertained that I have SMETS2 and I am thinking of the ivie bud but first 3 questions.

1. Can I do anything to connect the SmartView 2 IHD to the electric meter?
    2. Is the problem likely to be with the meter rather than the IHD?
    3. Is the ivie bud likely to have the same issues connecting to the electric?
    Level 78
    Hiya!

It's probably not worth using the SV2 at this point based on what you describe.

It's more likely an IHD problem, especially if the ivie Bud ends up working

Nope. Should be fine
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! ๐Ÿค– Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider ๐Ÿ•ท ๐Ÿค– Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 1
    Hello,

Last December i had both my electric and gas meters replaced with smart meters. I am with Sainsbury's energy but I believe everything is essentially run by Eon.Next these days. The smart meters (a GS-60B and a Kafia MA120) are running fine, and in smart mode, but the IHD has never worked from day 1. The Eon engineer that installed it "it would take 24 hours to work", but I remember at the time thinking it was a bit strange. The display simply says "Searching for meters... scanning...scanning...", and the device does not seem to know the time or the date.

After a few weeks with no visible data, I stumble across this thread, and low and behold I realise I also have been given a Smartview2, and so I am wondering if it will ever work. I did e-mail Sainsbury's Energy to see if they would have any suggestions, but it was impossible to follow their first instruction of turning the device off by holding down the power button, as the only option is to restart. I did decide to try unplugging it until it eventually ran out of battery, and then plug it back in, but it had no effect.

I've manged to get historical data via the Bright app etc, but it would be good to know if there is anything I can do to get realtime data on the IHD (without buying another one)

Thanks
    Level 92
    @noblergt

How far is the IHD from your actual meters and are they in an outdoor cubby or indoors? Try restarting the IHD within line of sight of the meters, about 6ft away and see if it can connect. If it does, see how far you can move before you lose signal. They don't work through walls so well.

Level 1
    @retrotecchie

The meters are in a cupboard under the stairs. When plugged in the IHD is about 6 feet away at most, though the cupboard door/an internal wall may partially be in the way in this postion. I've tried restarting it unplugged sitting directly next to the two meters to make sure that even the cupboard door isnt in the way and it hasn't made any difference really!
    Level 92
    @noblergt

Odd...indoors should be fine. Is there a HAN light on the electric meter/comms hub, and if so, what is it doing?
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Community Team
    Hello,

Last December i had both my electric and gas meters replaced with smart meters. I am with Sainsbury's energy but I believe everything is essentially run by Eon.Next these days. The smart meters (a GS-60B and a Kafia MA120) are running fine, and in smart mode, but the IHD has never worked from day 1. The Eon engineer that installed it "it would take 24 hours to work", but I remember at the time thinking it was a bit strange. The display simply says "Searching for meters... scanning...scanning...", and the device does not seem to know the time or the date.

After a few weeks with no visible data, I stumble across this thread, and low and behold I realise I also have been given a Smartview2, and so I am wondering if it will ever work. I did e-mail Sainsbury's Energy to see if they would have any suggestions, but it was impossible to follow their first instruction of turning the device off by holding down the power button, as the only option is to restart. I did decide to try unplugging it until it eventually ran out of battery, and then plug it back in, but it had no effect.

I've manged to get historical data via the Bright app etc, but it would be good to know if there is anything I can do to get realtime data on the IHD (without buying another one)

Thanks

Hey there @noblergt ๐Ÿ˜Š Hannah here ๐Ÿ‘‹. I am sorry that the instructions given by email were pretty confusing ๐Ÿ˜•. Hove you messaged Sainsbury's Energy on WhatsApp?
    ๐ŸŒ Striving for a bigger, better and sustainable world!

There are lots of new ways to contact us! If you do need us please
    ๐Ÿ‘‰get in touch๐Ÿ‘ˆ

Thinking about replacing your boiler? You can find out more about our boiler solutions ๐Ÿ‘‰ HERE ๐Ÿ‘ˆ
    Level 1
    @noblergt

Odd...indoors should be fine. Is there a HAN light on the electric meter/comms hub, and if so, what is it doing?

a HAN light flashes once every 5 seconds, in sync with a WAN, SW and GAS light. The Comms hub is a SKU1 Cellular I think.
    @Han_EONNext I've not tried contacting on WhatsApp - I'll give that a go when I have a chance!
    Level 92
    @noblergt

If your HAN light is flashing once every five seconds, that indicates the Home Area Network is functioning, which is how the hub gets its data from the gas meter. It also means that the HAN communication is working which is what the IHD needs to communicate with the comms hub.

This sounds like either the IHD is possibly faulty, or that the engineer who installed the meters did not correctly 'pair' the IHD to the comms hub. In either case, a faulty IHD or good IHD not correctly paired will usually require another engineer visit to complete the job, unless Customer Services can do anything remotely.

Pairing of IHD's to meters is not usually a 'user' function, but has to be done at commissioning time.
    Level 78
    The most likely culprit I can think of based on the information available here (and some cheeky documents provided by IHD manufacturers) is that the IHD isn't paired properly, so I agree with what's been said so far.

In theory, it may be possible to remotely finish the process, but I can't say for sure.