Increases and standing charge...

Level 91
    @KimS

you'll get sympathy from your MP but nothing more i suspect. There are lots of things that many regard as unfair in life, and energy charges are a big one. The reason all the companies charge to the limit of the price cap is that they claim to be losing money. Go figure.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 0
    I wonder if Eon next could absorb some of these monies from their £3 billion profits?
    Level 79
    I wonder if Eon next could absorb some of these monies from their £3 billion profits?

£3 billion profits is probably from the entire E.On Group put together and might also cover multiple countries and other operations. In reality, the retail division in the UK wouldn't even have anywhere near that much. Maybe a few million at most? But more likely, could be making a loss right now. There is no scope for any energy supplier in the UK to absorb any further costs.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 91
    @AndyR Heya it's Beki here. 👋
    There are many areas this covers from the generation of the energy, to the distribution throughout the UK & costs for infrastructure. All of these have increased alongside the wholesale cost of gas. The standing charge increase is mainly because of two factors; the rise in metering and network costs with the upkeep of pipes etc but also with other companies closing business, it means there are less companies out there to pay for the upkeep. So for example, if 5 of your friends were splitting a £50 pizza bill and 2 people were unable to pay, it would mean that 3 friends would end up paying more each.

It didn't dawn on me at the time but Beki's analogy is wrong. Because the standing charge is paid by customers living in homes and there hasn't been a reduction in those numbers, so the number of pizza slices hasn't changed, instead the size of the pizza has dramatically increased.