Two meters?

Level 1
    Hi, I recently moved into a new property supplied by eon next, my last property was just a prepay meter on economy 7
    I've moved to the property above me which is the same set up, all electric, electric heaters etc, I had a smart meter fitted a few days ago because it's monthly payments and I can't have a prepay meter apparently at the moment so I wanted to be able to see my useage but I have another meter that seems to connect, apparently the other meter is the economy 7 for the heaters etc and then I have the standard smart meter
    Does anyone know what happens with this? Can I get just one meter with an economy 7 tariff? I'm not used to dealing with anything like this & I'm worried about 2 bills, when I first called eon next about the two meters they didn't seem to know why I had two but I'm assuming it's because of the economy 7? I just didn't want to end up paying more etc so I didn't know if it was best to have it removed, if I can, or see if it can be merged to one meter?

Thankyou!
  • 40 Replies

Level 78
    Howdy @Starkat!

I could do with some more info before I start solving this puzzle. Please post photos of the current meters in your new flat, ideally as many as possible. You don't need a second meter for Economy 7 if you have a Smart Meter though, as a Smart Meter is supposed to handle everything by itself.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 1
    Hi, this is the meters I have, the left is the smart meter that's just been fitted, on the right is the one that says heat plus on it which is I'm assuming the economy 7 meter for the electric heaters etc
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Level 78
    Seriously?!?!?! What kind of bodge job is that????

I'm sorry, but this isn't acceptable and completely breaks the standards. As far as I'm concerned, your installation is incomplete and possibly even dangerous - the engineer should not have left site with even one of the meter terminals disconnected on the original meter. That's a lethal electric shock risk! Not only that, but the other meter is well past re-certification and should have been removed as part of the job. I don't understand why the engineer didn't just either abandon the entire job without doing anything at all, or fit a five terminal meter.
    @HannahD_EONNext and @Beki_EONNext sorry to drag you both in this quickly, but I feel this needs to be rectified ASAP as a safety risk.
    Level 78
    Not only that, but the other meter also looks very, very dead somehow. Unless you want to constantly submit readings of 8888888888 all the time, you'll never be able to rely on it. :D

Now I'm also curious as to exactly how the engineer managed to fry it... Clearly it's got a critical fault that I bet didn't exist before the meter upgrade...
    Level 1
    @theunknowntechoh really? Well that's worrying!

The engineer just told me to call up about the second meter that he left in, which I did but no one really understood why it was there, I thought with the smart meter I could just get an economy 7 tariff on it and have the second meter removed so I was unsure why I still had the second meter
    I was told it could be a second bill for heating etc but after calling many places it seems it's just kind of there taking recordings but nothing else..

hoping I can get this sorted!
    Level 78
    And as if it couldn't get any worse... It's unclear as to whether your Main Fuse is either 80A or 100A. That also probably needs to be resolved because the last thing you want is to try and use 85A (which you're entitled to use!) and blow the main fuse out, which would result in a power cut. Only your DNO could resolve that happening and they probably wouldn't be too happy about it...

Sigh...
    Level 78
    And I've hit the jackpot today. You have exposed copper on the earth wire, just to the right of your main fuse. Please don't touch any of this as you will get zapped. This probably qualifies for some emergency repair work if I'm not mistaken.

This is one lottery you really don't want to win! I hope I don't find more issues here.
    Level 78
    @theunknowntechoh really? Well that's worrying!

The engineer just told me to call up about the second meter that he left in, which I did but no one really understood why it was there, I thought with the smart meter I could just get an economy 7 tariff on it and have the second meter removed so I was unsure why I still had the second meter
    I was told it could be a second bill for heating etc but after calling many places it seems it's just kind of there taking recordings but nothing else..

hoping I can get this sorted!

No worries. Pardon the pun, but I blew a fuse when I realised just how bad this installation is! Both of the original meters should have been removed when the smart meter was installed, as there are five terminal SMETS2 Smart Meters that can easily take on Economy 7. The Aclara SGM1412-B, Aclara SGM1415-B, Aclara SGM1416-B and Aclara SGM1422-B for example, are absolutely perfect examples of this. All of them have the ability to handle a secondary load of some form and are fully compatible with Economy 7.

Beki will be able to help you get this resolved, but if you have any further safety concerns, please don't hesitate to let her know about them. Clearly, your setup needs a good inspection after all.