Two meters?

Level 1
    @theunknowntech yeah when I called eon about it the first time we gave the serial number and they didn't know anything about it, only the old meter that was removed and I'm being billed for one meter, they gave me a number to call to check if it was anything to do with them and they said no, so it's looking just like a dead meter tbh, so just unsure why it should of still remained when I got the smart meter put in but again no one else seems to know what I'm talking about when I call eon and say I have a second meter, I've tried explaining every which way I can, even sent pictures & it's been like pulling teeth on the customer service lines, think today was my 6th call explaining this to them, getting to the point of giving up & just forgetting about it myself 😣
    Level 79
    Then I wonder who's paying the Standing Charges for it then? Because for every day that it remains connected to the National Grid, they should be racking up. Clearly you're not getting the bills for them but surely someone is? Don't call customer service again, it seems to me like they'll just get stuck in yet another loop.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! πŸ€– Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider πŸ•· πŸ€– Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 1
    @theunknowntech it's definitely showing readings because I've pressed it and it's showing a reading, I think who we called was the national grid and they had no knowledge of it either, as I said my friend has the same meter situation on the estate just with prepay, again 2 meters, looks exact same as mine & she's been living there months and the guy on the phone said if there were going to be any bills etc you'd of definitely got one by now so I honestly haven't got a clue, there seems to be no trace of this meter but it does look active.. just no one seems to know why it's there or what it's for.. only been told I can have it taken out but no one's even tried to do that for me either.. but would like to know why it's atleast there, didn't want any surprise bills
    Community Team
    Hi @Starkat

This looks to be quite the saga!

I'm sorry to hear that you've not had much luck getting in touch over the phone - The pictures you've emailed in may help with some context, as this definitely isn't the usual set up and the engineer who visited may have left this in place as it's either a separate supply (for communal lighting if you have this within your building, please note, this is just speculation) or a completely dud meter, in which case, the engineer wouldn't have been tasked with removing this on their job notes so would have left it be.

What I can confirm, is that you don't need to worry about this, as much of a mystery it is. I've checked on your account and you only have the one meter listed (your old one showing as removed and your new Smart Meter) so you haven't been, and never will be, billed for anything that may or may not be being recorded on this meter.

It's definitely a mystery as further checks don't bring anything up on the national database when we search this Meter Serial Number, not only does this mean that we might not even supply the meter, but it also means any job to get this removed by the meter operator in your area (if it is useless) is near on impossible as we have no record of it.

I'm sorry that I'm not able to provide any more information on this meter for you, as it truly is a bit of an enigma due to no traceable details of why it's there, what its purpose is or even who supplies it πŸ€”

- Pete 😊
    Last edited by PeterT_EONNext; 22-02-22 at 16:16. Reason: Spelling
    Cool 😎 Calm 😌 Collected πŸ™Œ - Here to help, or just for a chat if you like!

Do you agree with a comment? Give the member a πŸ‘
    Got the right answer to a query? Click 'Best Answer' βœ…
    Can't find any help using the Search function or by scrolling through our Community? πŸ€” Ask a question by starting a new thread in a sub-forum here!
    Find all the ways to get in touch with E.ON Next here
    Level 79
    Thanks Pete!

Yes, I had a nagging feeling that might be the result, but I don't like to give up just in case there's a more useful answer. I guess if that meter isn't registered then technically... No-one is paying for it? It must have slipped off the radar a long time ago as well.

Ah well. Someone in the energy market will probably eventually realise that there's a random meter that's not been touched for ages and try to figure it out.
    Level 1
    @PeterT_EONNext thankyou for getting back to me! You guys on this thread have kept me mildly sane throughout this mystery!

I honestly haven't a clue, with it saying heat + on it I could only assume it was for as it says, heating supply etc but seems not, considering it doesn't even really seem to exist on anyone's database despite it displaying a readingWhen my heating turns on my smart meter shows more activity so I knew it wasn't a separate supply even after being told that's what it could be

my friend has the same set up and she's never received any separate bill etc so I have no idea at all, maybe just a case of just leaving it there & forgetting about it if it's just a dud meter that can't be removed, the only communal thing with these buildings is a light on the wall of the building for the garden, maybe that? Just confused me that it says "heat +" on a label on the meter so to me would suggest it was there for the heating and hot water but still, it remains a mystery to everyone and always will it seems!
    Level 1
    @PeterT_EONNext also I guess if no one can really tell me it has anything to do with my supply even after chasing it up & trying to figure it out, as long as no unexpected bills come my way for any readings from an active meter, I guess.. not my problem? Haha
    Community Team
    @Starkat

Absolutely! Definitely not your problem and you will never be billed for anything from this meter, so nothing to worry about there πŸ˜„

It really is a strange one, like you say, with the 'Heat+' sticker, this would usually indicate that it's purpose is for storage heaters but it doesn't appear to be connected to your home whatsoever.

In this case, it's best to just leave it be as I'm not sure we're ever going to get to the bottom of that one πŸ˜†

Pete 😊
    Level 1
    @PeterT_EONNext

I guess just a case of forgetting about it, doesn't seem like there's anything that can be done really, suppose if no bills come my way for it then there's no need to stress any longer about it, just gotta kind of accept it's there πŸ‘€

I've never done monthly billing before, always used prepay because I struggle with understanding how things work so everything being sort of all over and new and not how it should be has confused me even more! I miss prepay 🀣

Thankyou and @theunknowntech for your help!
    Level 79
    No worries. You have no idea how funny it was for me to finally confuse Blastoise too! It's almost impossible for me to stump him, but even he couldn't figure it out. And that's saying something!

If you get stuck again, please stop by the forum and we'll try to help you out.