Price Cap Q&A

Level 1
    @PeterT_EONNext I actually don't know if I will be able to cope with the price increase that I am about to get from 1st April 22. Looked at the tariffs and the cheapest fixed tariff is not any cheaper than the new variable tariffs will be. As I am not on minimum wages, I can't really get much help either, even more as I am private tenant. Unfortunately I fell that wages do not go up each year at the same rate as prices goes up and this price cap is absolute shocker!!!! This leaves single parents like me at even worse position each year. I really feel like nobody really cares if I will be put to make the choice to pay the bills or pay the rent or be homeless at the end of 2022.... very very disappointed in how these decisions are made as they affect mostly those who are already poor.....
    Level 1
    @PeterT_EONNext
    Can you clarify something for me. I am currently on the standard Next Flex tariff and am looking at the fixed deals. If I take up a fixed deal today does the new higher pricing start tomorrow or 1st April? Thanks.
    Level 1
    @JScott I've asked the same question on here, via eon next email & their Twitter account......was told this on twitter....

"Hi, Thank you for reaching out today 😄

You can change to this agreement at anytime if you wish. To be fair the price just now is looking a little lower than what it des for that agreement so I would just wait until the 1st to do this 😄"....

Still not sure I've received the right advice though 🤔
    Level 3
    @JScott catch 22 my friend, i was looking at the fixed rate too because the prices are the same as mine will be in April, however if you wait there is no guarantee the fixed tariffs won`t be hiked before then.
    I might bite the bullet and go for it even though it will hit me in the pocket mainly because I have reasonable credit on my account at the moment.

Just to add the way I see it is the new pricing would start immediately, but I will wait for Peter to verify that.
    Last edited by UKDave51; 26-02-22 at 08:58.
    Community Team
    Hi all!

I believe the tariff you're referring to is the Next Online v11 tariff - this has been set up with the same unit rates and standing charges as the variable Next Flex tariff as of April 2022. This provides some protection as the prices on this tariff are fixed for a year, variable tariffs will be reviewed again and change in October, and if prices rise again (which they're expected to, they already have done within the last few days) then this is definitely an option worth considering.

If you're currently on a variable tariff, you can't delay the start of a fixed tariff. The reason for this is because the variable tariff is a rolling tariff with no end date, so if you choose a fixed tariff, this will have to begin immediately.

Our tariffs are changing all the time due to the cost of energy ever increasing currently (they've actually been updated again today in-line with major changes due to a number of factors)

If you're going to fix into a tariff, it's something you'll need to consider doing sooner, rather than later.

Thanks - Peter 😊
    Cool 😎 Calm 😌 Collected 🙌 - Here to help, or just for a chat if you like!

Do you agree with a comment? Give the member a 👍
    Got the right answer to a query? Click 'Best Answer' ✅
    Can't find any help using the Search function or by scrolling through our Community? 🤔 Ask a question by starting a new thread in a sub-forum here!
    Find all the ways to get in touch with E.ON Next here
    Level 91
    The fixed price tariffs (was V11 is now v12) start from the day after you sign up. So yes the first month is at a higher price than the current variable rate tariff which lasts to end March 2022. From April the rate on the I year fixed price tariff (v11) was the same as the variable rate tariff (but a bit more for the 2 year fixed rate). From October 2022 many "experts" are predicting the the price cap will rise yet further. If you're on the variable tariff you will then have to pay those new rates.

However if you've fixed for 1 or 2 years you will not have to pay the higher variable rate price capped rates from October 2022. None of the options are that good, its a case of getting the least worst option you can.

The V12 fixed tariff is circa 15% up on the V11. So you will pay circa 62% extra over the variable tariff for march 2022 , 15% over the increased variable tariff for April to September 2022, and then will probably save against whatever the variable tariff is from October 2022 onwards. Nobody knows for sure what the October 2022 price capped rates will be but the omens are not looking good, and another significant rise looks probable. A fix might save you money but it might not - who can tell? We must all make our own decisions.
    Last edited by meldrewreborn; 02-03-22 at 15:50. Reason: correct mistype
    Level 1
    Hi

New on here so i hope you can help.

I've just been watching Martin Lewis and he said that the new electricity price cap is set at 28p per unit. So my question is .. If I'm supposed to be on a variable rate that is price capped, why am i is the new tariff set at 34p or 37p per KW.

Can anyone explain?

thanks

Maz
    Level 91
    Variable standard tariffs are price capped. Fixed tariffs are not. Price cap rates apply currently for 6 months periods, fixed tariff are normally for longer periods.

Martin Lewis has to speak in general rather than specific terms and this is where the confusion commences. But I can't comment on what figures he has been quoting.

Contrary to public understanding there are multiple price caps for different regions and different billing arrangements (DD, cheque, prepayment). the figures for apr-sept 2022 are in the link below. - they are VAT inclusive. Unfortunately OFGEM post the figures in annual terms and for electricity is based on a notional consumption of 3,100 kWh. So you need your region and payment method, look at the table find the annual figure, subtract the standing charge element (first column) and divide the result by 3,100. But the price capped figure for electricity if the supplier charges the maximum standing charge amount, and the tariff is single rate and DD is the payment method is going to come out between 25.8p and 28.2p.

Default tariff cap level - 1 April 2022 - 30 September 2022 (2).pdf

Fixed price tariffs are not subject to the price cap and you need to evaluate such offers carefully. Some (most) fixed rate deal last longer than the price cap periods (at present 6 months) so the rates are not easily comparable.

You need to be careful to check exactly what you're are being told because there are so many different factors at work.
    Last edited by meldrewreborn; 07-03-22 at 15:26. Reason: correct mistype
    Level 1
    Hadnt thought of that, but i dont think there is anything outstanding, but i will recheck anyway, good point