Smart meter read problem

Level 1
    It seems my gas & electric smart meters have not sent a reading for a while and the manual reads I did were incorrect, now my bill is higher than it should be. Can anyone help me get this sorted?
    Many thanks,
    James
  • 4 Replies

Level 78
    Hiya!

I can try to run some diagnostics with you, but to do that I'll need some more info. Please could you post some photos of your meters and I'll see what I can do from there.

thanks!
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 1
    Hey, if you are a recent convert from another supplier to EON Next then your smart meter is most likely broken waiting for an update. You will have to manually read for the for seeable future, it will not send updates. EON next knew that the 1st generation of smart meters would not work after the transfer but did not make this public. I had this confirmed by EON.. email below

Good afternoon Alex,
    Thank you for getting in touch with us.
    We've been experiencing a wide number of cases where customer's Smart Meters aren't currently working as designed and I wanted to provide you with an update.

For a large portion of 2021 (and part of 2020), customers have reported that their Smart Meters have not been transmitting readings as designed and the In-Home Display device (the device that shows you the amount of energy you've used), has not been working. This is due to the fact that all suppliers (British Gas, Octopus etc) are waiting for a software update from the Data Communication Company. We've attempted changing Smart Meters over for new ones, but ultimately, this update that all suppliers are waiting on is the reason they are not working as designed.

This is a Government update that was meant to be rolled out in December of 2020 but all suppliers have been advised that this update is currently postponed. We do apologise for this inconvenience.

We understand that your Smart Meter is designed to transmit us your readings and the fact this is currently not a working function must be frustrating. As this is a supplier wide issue we are unable to provide a date at this time for when a fix will be in place. I can advise that as soon as we do have an update, we will be in touch to advise if further steps are needed to be taken.

To ensure we can bill you for your actual usage we would ask that you provide a manual reading monthly (if you'd prefer not to be billed to estimates). You can do this through your online portal, an email or by giving us a call.
    Kind regards,
    Alen
    Level 1
    I am having a similar problem. I haven't sent in any manual readings yet for my duel fuel account and have just received an estimated bill. My in home display shows a zero followed by five digits, with no decimal point. I find e.on's online support section confusing. Do I submit the first five digits on the display and drop the last one? When I tried doing that to submit the gas usage, it said it seemed a little high, so I thought I'd ask here before I sent it through. The electricity would work out lower than their estimate if I've got it right. I just don't want to get stung with a higher bill than I actually owe. Please advise.
    Level 78
    Hi @ChilliChum,

You'll want to submit all digits before the decimal point (including the leading zero), but drop the decimal point and everything beyond that. If you're struggling to get an electric or gas reading in due to the "too high" or "too low" issue, have a chat with customer service and ask for the Estimated Annual Consumption figures to be recalculated as they might be out of line for your property.