Replace Old not working Smart Meter

Level 1
    Hi, I have an old smart meter that was installed by OVO in 2014. It worked for a couple of months then stopped working and OVO never responded to my queries. I swapped supplier after this and have given manual readings ever since.

Is it possible to get the smart meter replaced? Or am I forever stuck in this "sorry you already have a smart meter even though it doesn't work" loop where I can never get it replaced? It seems crazy that the law says you have to have this meter but it doesn't matter if it's faulty!!
  • 1 Reply

• Best Answer

Level 78
    Best Answer
    Heya!

This just so happens to be my speciality actually. I'm on OVO myself along with a few of my friends and we know the meter you're talking about well. I believe the one you've got is probably a SMETS1 Secure Liberty 100 Electric Meter and if you have Gas, probably a SMETS1 Secure Liberty EG4v Gas Meter. These worked fine with any supplier that installed Secure branded meters back in the day, so it sounds like you switched to a supplier that didn't use them.

There is a national upgrade program to migrate ALL SMETS1 meters to DCC via something called Enrolment & Adoption, which will enable all of them to be revived and work across all suppliers, even those who never used that meter at the time. The best route I can recommend is to hang in there for now as your meters are included in the process, with a target date of completion by September 2022. If the migration fails, your meters can be replaced with SMETS2 meters, but it's usually best to allow the migration to run first, as you may well get lucky that way and it's less disruptive. You can't do a self-service upgrade request though, it'd have to be via customer service if it comes to it.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!