Do smart meters make any noise?

Level 1
    Hi, all,

I have one of the older meters as shown. When I put the gas on it clicks and whirs away and is annoying. Would a smart meter be silent or would things still whir away?

Name:  IMG_20220110_092047.jpg
Views: 1619
Size:  23.2 KBName:  IMG_20220110_092144.jpg
Views: 1537
Size:  18.1 KBName:  IMG_20220110_092132.jpg
Views: 1542
Size:  18.7 KB
  • 5 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 78
    Best Answer
    Hi!

I can answer this one, but there's actually two parts to the answer here. I'll address both for you, one at a time.

Firstly, Smart Meters don't make any more noise than any other meter and are usually silent unless there's a valid reason for them to make noise (such as beeping to warn you of a low battery or low PAYG credit for example). However, as with anything mechanical, they can start making other noises if they develop a fault - which is more likely in a gas meter than an electric meter - but isn't unique to Smart Meters.

As for the issue you're having right now... It sounds to me as if your current gas meter might be wearing out and reaching the end of its service life - based on the date stamp it's almost certainly going to be up for recertification soon anyway, at which point it really would reach the end of service life. The most likely cause I can think of, is probably a bearing or the diaphragm being worn down to almost bare metal as a result of long term use and/or just regular wear and tear. You're not expected to have to deal with fixing that or put up with the noise however - this is considered a meter fault and action can be taken to resolve it, especially if it's proving to be a nuisance.

That's my diagnosis, and I can recommend two solutions. Feel free to pick either of these (or the third one, if you really want to):
    1. Request a Faulty Meter Exchange - this is free because of the noisy meter and is the most likely one to simply replace the meter with a traditional (non-smart) meter if you don't want Smart Meters right now
    2. Book a Smart Meter Upgrade - this is also free and like the option above, would resolve the noisy meter issue. I'd recommend going for this option directly if you're planning to upgrade anyway, since it would get both tasks done at once
    3. Stay put and keep things as they are - Probably not the option you're after, but apparently some people do choose this. If the noise isn't too disruptive, you could choose to leave it alone for now. In your case though, there's only a year or so left on the service life of that gas meter before it needs to be replaced anyway.

Feel free to pick any of these options based on what you'd like to do. You're welcome to have a think about them first of course.

Hope this helps
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 1
    Wow, what a superb response

Option two I'm going to go with, I think, as due to the nature of my property a smart meter would be a problematic installation (I have a sub meter and they need access to two seperate buildings apparently).

Thanks so much 🙂
    Level 78
    No worries. A sub-meter doesn't make it impossible, but I'd strongly recommend booking this over the phone rather than via self-service - as you'll want to make sure the job notes mention your setup being the way it is.
    @james859, I think TUT meant that we have teams on Facebook and Twitter that are there to help you. You can send a message across to us on Facebook (@eonnext) or Twitter (@eon_next) or if you prefer giving us a ring, know that our lines are open 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday. For home related calls it's 0808 501 5200 or for business related calls it's 0808 501 5699.

If you have any questions or just need some friendly advice in regards to your energy account, please pop me a message and I'll be more than happy to help.