Meter readings - rate 1 and rate 2

Level 1
    Hi, I haven't lived in my home for very long and the meter here is different to what I'm used to. This property has no gas so it's electric only but it has two rates. I don't know for sure which meter reading is the day rate and which is the night. They are shown on my meter as rate 1 and rate 2.

The previous owner left a note with the meter readings - they were written with rate 1= night, rate 2 = day. I thought it should be the other way round but I didn't know for sure and assumed an engineer would come at some point to check things so I checked the numbers matched those on the meter and used this when submitting my first reading.

My first reading was:
    Night 41383
    Day 44597

I missed my second reading so that was estimated as:
    Night 41535
    Day 44779

I've been reading more about these kind of meters as I felt it made more sense that rate 1 should be day and rate 2 should be night, and everything I've read seems to confirm this, and I've also learned that engineers don't really do home visits for meter readings anymore. So today I have given my reading using day = rate 1 and night = rate 2.

My reading is:
    Night 45636
    Day 41792

I got a warning about my night reading looking too high and my day reading looking too low but submitted anyway as it just seems to make more sense this way round, but I'm now worried I've got this wrong and should have kept the readings as they were before with rate 1 being night and rate 2 being day. Can anyone confirm which way it should be. I'm worried my bill will suddenly shoot up or something because I've got it wrong.

Thank you,
    Lucy
  • 1 Reply

• Best Answer

Level 78
    Best Answer
    Howdy!

You've reached the hotline for theunknowntech, a mysterious forum volunteer who appears and disappears like magic. :)

Sure thing, I can probably help with that. Please could you show me some photos of your meter, both wide shots that include the entire meter, as well as close-ups that clearly show both readings on the display (or dials). I'll be able to figure it out from there for you. Don't worry too much about the bills - even if you got the readings the wrong way round, this can all be fixed.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!