Direct debit discount

View Tag Cloud
    Level 1
    I'm told I will get a discount for paying by direct debit. How and when will this discount be applied?
    Last edited by DebF_EONNext; 19-06-23 at 09:12. Reason: removed featured thread
  • 5 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 80
    Best Answer
    Howdy!

I'm not sure exactly how E.On Next handles this particular discount, but I can tell you how it's handled by some other suppliers, based on personal experience. The most common way of applying this type of discount, is by having reduced Daily Standing Charges as a result of paying via Direct Debit, compared to paying On Demand/On Receipt of Bill for the same tariff. It is sometimes applied to the Unit Rates instead, but it's more commonly applied to the Standing Charges as it's easier to calculate for them and is more stable.

In these cases, there won't be any obvious traces of the discount on the bill, but you can check the terms of the contract or contact customer service to verify. I think there are sometimes cases where the discount is a line entry on the bills, but that's not very common.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Head of Community
    I'm told I will get a discount for paying by direct debit. How and when will this discount be applied?

Hiya

unknowntech is pretty much there with his response, we offer lower standing charge and unit rate if a Direct Debit is set up. It works out to be around £45 per year per fuel you'd save.

Hope this helps!

Hannah - here to spread positive energy
    Level 1
    Hi, mine kicked in on day 1, as I had set the direct debit up before I got the first bill. Also had a IHD and smart meter fitted on day 5. The IHD initially showed the pre d/d rates, namely 21.4p p/kwh and a day rate of 28.33p. The d/d rates for me are 20.317p/kwh and a day rate of 23.772p. My IHD has now been updated to show these d/d rates note your rates may be different, I think it depends on where in the uk you are regards Alanj
    Level 1
    @Gymrat

Hi, I too was looking for clarity on this however, as theunknowntech said, "there won't be any obvious traces of the discount on the bill". There aren't and there appears to be no way to work out if you receive a 'discount' or where this 'discount' is applied. I am wondering if there is any actual 'discount' at all, or just clever wording to make you think there is.

MSE states that paying your energy bill by direct debit could save you money because direct debit is usually the cheapest method of paying. That is not a 'discount'. It just means that it is more expensive to pay using any other method. Pay the regular amount by direct debit or pay more if you choose another method.
    Level 91
    @Mari

It depends on your perspective. There are DD tariffs and other tariffs. DD is usually cheaper. Is that a discount? - some would argue it is, others would say is just a consumer choice like choosing between own label and branded baked beans.

Some people view the TV licence as a tax, others don't. We're dealing in semantics here.
    Current Eon Next customer, ex EDF, Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.