Smart meter begins at midnight at £3.49

View Tag Cloud
    Level 1
    I live myself and for some reason my bills have doubled the past few days the meter starts at midnight at £3.49 when I've never used that much in a day ever!
  • 2 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 78
    Best Answer
    Hi there!

I'm theunknowntech, a forum volunteer who helps out here. I don't work for E.On so I can't access your account, but I might be able to help you solve this issue.

It's worth noting that regardless of what the meter itself says, your actual bills are generated by E.On on the billing system, which is independent of the meter itself. As long as the billing system has the correct tariff rates for your account and is getting accurate meter readings, the bills should be correct even if the meter is misbehaving. If you think your bills are going off track though, that can be investigated via customer service.

Something that might help, is if you ask them to issue the SMETS Command Update Tariff Configuration to your meter. This will force it to download the correct tariff rates and should refresh them on your In-Home Display as well. With that being said though, I'm wondering if something may have gone wrong with the meter itself. Could you post some photos of your meter(s) please, and I'll see if I can help you figure this out.

Thanks
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
  • Best Answer

Level 29
    Best Answer
    I live myself and for some reason my bills have doubled the past few days the meter starts at midnight at £3.49 when I've never used that much in a day ever!
    You state the plural "bills" which doesn't make sense to me unless you mean over the past few days you got billed a multiple number of times. Please state exactly when your bill(s) doubled?
    It may be because of a change of tariff to a higher one. Or it may be a fault within your central heating system; when did you last get it serviced?
    Are you sure you are not reading this off your In Home Display unit? If it is set to display your usage to weekly readings, the figure at midnight will pass this amount after 2 - 4 days into the week, as mine does, because mine is configured this way.