npower Duet II display not working

Level 1
    I have an npower Duet II display for a smart meter and it now just continually displays “Connecting to smart meter…” without actually connecting.

Any support for how to get this working ?
  • 3 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 78
    Best Answer
    Thanks, that's exactly the IHD I thought it was. The Npower Duet II is actually a supplier-specific rebranded variant of the Geo Duet II, but other than that is pretty similar to the vanilla variant. They're both SMETS1 so they can get a bit messed up by switching supplier. In theory, that IHD should recover eventually after your meters are fully migrated to DCC and enrolled onto the National Smart Meter Network.

The moderators have mentioned that there is some kind of special arrangement to get meters installed by Npower working with E.On Next prior to migration, but I don't know more than that. I'm also unable to say whether or not that would get the Npower/Geo Duet II working anytime soon, as it's a really old model that Geo doesn't really support anymore. At least, probably not as much as they used to.

You might need to submit manual readings for now, but Smart readings should resume eventually once your meter reconnects. I'd estimate that might be within the next 6-12 months but I don't have a crystal ball, so I can't predict when a particular meter will be adopted by DCC.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 78
    Howdy! You've reached the forum volunteer hotline. My name's theunknowntech, how can I help you today? :D

Ah yes, the Npower Duet II aka the Geo Duet II is a bit of an edge case here. It's a pretty old IHD and many of them are probably wearing out at this stage. As far as I'm aware, the only realistic solution might be to wait for your Smart Meters to migrate to DCC first and then connect to E.On Next before anything else can happen. Have you had any Smart readings through since your account was transferred? Until then, it may be difficult to diagnose and fix this, but I can try a few things.

Please could you show me some photos of your meters? This helps me out a lot to make sure I'm giving the right advice as it varies depending on what you've got. From my understanding, the Geo Duet II has been seriously struggling to handle the migration to DCC and right now I'm unable to say whether it will ever work again, even after your meters migrate. I've heard a few cases of them eventually being revived, but it's not enough to be confident.

I don't give up easily though, so I'm happy to help with diagnostics as best I can. Just so you know, I don't work for E.On and don't have any way to access your account. I hope that's OK with you.
    Level 1
    Hi, thanks for reply, photo below.

It looks like the smart meter hasn't reported a reading since 15/08/21 while before that, a reading was submitted every month.

So does this mean that the Power smart meters aren't compatible with Eon?

Do they have a programme to address this or is it back to submitting manual readings?

Name:  IMG_4973.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  37.1 KB