Abnormal meter reading for last month

Level 6
    I live in a 1 bedroom flat with an electric cooktop since May 2021. Today I checked my meter to provide reading to eon and it seems too big a number compared to last time. The calculated bill amount shows £160 for last month. Normally it is £50-60/per month not sure what is the issue.
    I understand it is winter now but this big jump does make me think something is unusual. Please suggest.
  • 9 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 78
    Best Answer
    Howdy!

Thanks for stopping by. This thread seems to be similar to your other one, so I've decided to answer using this thread to keep things tidy. I'll ask a moderator to merge the threads later for you. Just as a heads up, I can't access your account or make changes so I can't see exactly what's happening here. I can definitely try to offer some help and advice though.

That does seem an awfully big jump even if I factor in things like current energy prices and the fact you'd use more in the winter. That bill is also more than quadruple the last bill a friend of mine had this week, and they're in a one bed flat!

There's a couple of things I'd like to try, but I'll need your help if that's OK. Firstly, please could you post some photos of your meter(s) and everything close to them. Feel free to cover up or hide anything that might be personal info though to protect your privacy. This helps me to figure out what you've got so that I can give you the right advice.

For now though, I suspect a Creep Test is probably a good idea. This will help you to identify if there's a possible meter fault and go from there. Before you get started, please safely shut down and turn off any sensitive electronics/electricals to protect them, such as computers, games consoles, TVs, Wi-Fi Router, Smart Home gadgets and the like. You can leave the fridge and freezer on though, so don't worry about spoiling anything. I also recommend leaving a few lights on, so that you can tell when the test is done. Since this involves cutting all the power, I'd recommend doing this only during daylight hours unless you have a torch handy.

Once that's done, here's what you'll need to do to perform the test.
    1. Locate your electric meter and fuse box/consumer unit
    2. Take a meter reading from the electric meter and note it down
    3. Turn off all the power to your flat entirely
    4. Observe the electric meter for about five minutes, keeping an eye out for any red flashing lights or the display - this indicates usage being clocked and recorded
    5. After five minutes, take another reading and note it down
    6. Turn the power back on
    7. Compare the two meter readings

Given that you turned off the entire power to the flat during the test, both the readings should either be basically the same or extremely close. If they are, then this indicates that the meter isn't faulty and the issue lies elsewhere. If however, the readings are different - especially if the meter kept clocking during the test - then it's likely that your meter is faulty and a Meter Accuracy Test is needed. You can request one by contacting customer service, but it will cost you around £160 upfront. There's two things that can happen from here.

• If the Meter Accuracy Test confirms the meter is not faulty, you'll forfeit the test fee as it won't be refunded and your bills will remain valid. This is why it's important to at least do a Creep Test before requesting a MAT.
    • If the Meter Accuracy Test confirms the meter is faulty, you'll get the test fee refunded in full, the meter will be replaced and your bills will be regenerated to more accurately reflect your what actual meter readings would have been if the meter hadn't developed a fault. If the meter was clocking too slowly, you won't have to pay any extra, but if it was clocking too fast, you'll get a refund for the difference.

The other thing you want to check, is whether something's using more power than expected.

Hope this helps!
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 6
    Hi theunknowntech,

Apologies for the late reply.

Please find pics of the meter and surrounding https://imgur.com/a/bypyx7y (unable to directly upload here)

I did the creep test 3 times with diff switch off please have a look
    1)switched off Switch-1 in Pic-1(2nd pic in the link) one for 6-7 min - saw a diff in the reading of 9 units
    2)switched off Switch-1 in Pic-1 & Switch-2 in Pic-2(1st pic in the link) one for 6-7 min - saw a zero diff
    3)switched off just Switch-1 in Pic-1 again for 6-7 min - saw a zero diff( Negates test 1?)

Let me know if you need more details. Thanks
    Level 78
    Ah ha, perfect! Thanks for that.

I see you have a SMETS1 Secure Liberty meter, possibly a Secure Liberty 100 as that's the most common variant in the family. I know them well, as does my friend Blastoise.

I have no reason to doubt your testing methods, it seems you did it right for all three attempts. Technically, I'd say the meter passed two out of three times, but failed one out of three times. That's still a concern for me - especially if the meter clocked up nine units in that time. To be brutally honest here, that's an awful lot unless you're running some kind of mansion. And since I also live in a one-bed flat, I have a fairly good idea of what the averages might be for someone in my situation (albeit with underfloor heating).

Based on this, I would normally be tempted to recommend going for a MAT on the basis of a failed Creep Test. But on the other hand, I think I may have cracked the case and a MAT might not be needed after all. What kind of heating do you have? Based on your photos, you appear to have Storage Heaters, which may explain the increase. They're very expensive to run on a single-rate tariff and it seems as if your meter might not be set up for Economy 7 - I'd expect five meter tails if it was, with one of them being used to control the Storage Heaters so they only run during Off-Peak hours.

You may want to consider whether Economy 7 might be more appropriate than Single-Rate. This would give you seven hours of cheaper electricity overnight (the rest is more expensive than the Standard rates) so that you can charge up your Storage Heaters more cheaply and balance out the costs a bit. I suspect you might also not be using them in the most efficient manner, so I'll try to dig up some resources that can help you with that.

I hope my diagnosis helps. I think I've probably also saved you losing £160 as well. :)

If you don't have Storage Heaters (or you've permanently disabled them), then a MAT might be worth doing after all.

EDIT: I've found some advice for you regarding Storage Heaters:
    Last edited by theunknowntech; 26-12-21 at 16:11. Reason: Added storage heater info
    Level 78
    CAUTION! Possible safety issue detected!

It looks like the Tamper Seal on your Main Fuse (aka the Service Fuse) might be damaged or not secured properly, which is something that will need to be resolved. For your own safety, please don't touch anything or attempt to repair it yourself, as it needs to be done by an engineer. Technically speaking, it's the responsibility of your DNO in this case, but in the first instance I'd suggest reporting the issue to customer service via E.On Next - they should be able to escalate to your DNO if needed.

This kind repair should be free and won't take long (usually just a few minutes). I don't think the power needs to be turned off either, but the engineer will let you know if they need to do that. I don't think this has been caused by any kind of tampering - it's more likely that the last engineer didn't crimp the seal properly.

I like to keep an eye out for these things as I feel like I have a sort of duty of care. It's also why I tend to ask for photos of everything - and yours are especially helpful - since it makes it easier for me to spot them.
    Level 6
    Thanks a lot for helping me with this issue. 😀

I am wondering when cases 1 & 3 were the same why did I only see a spike in Case 1?

I have this heater installed in all rooms. Please see the picture here. https://imgur.com/a/SfdgI2G is the same as what you are saying.
    Also, I only switch it on when I am in the room that is day time living room, nighttime bedroom.

Also, you mentioned reporting the Tamper Seal issue to customer service via E.On Next , I was not able to find out the page or link which allows me to raise request please if you can share .Thanks again.
    Level 78
    Thanks. That actually doesn't look like a Storage Heater to me - it seems more like an electric radiator of some kind. They're not exactly the cheapest things to run and you might want to consider turning it down a tad - 30 is awfully high and will roast you!

It's also really hard to say why you got those results. I'd suggest discussing that further with customer service and see what happens. It might be that you get asked to run the test again, just in case.

As for the contact info, try 0808 501 5200. The opening hours are a bit limited right now, but should go back to normal from the 4th January.
    Level 6
    Thanks a Ton for taking out time to look into this. Happy New Year to you 😀.
    For now, I will make them a payment and then call them and see what to do. I will change the temp setting 😅
    Level 78
    No worries, I think it's safe to say that I've definitely saved you £160 already, but you don't owe me a beer.

Recommending a Creep Test is just one of the options in my toolkit. While it's a powerful tool, it can't pick up on everything. Especially if you're accidentally roasting your flat. If you do that for too long, you could potentially even bump up your Estimated Annual Consumption and Expected Usage figures! And THAT would cause you even more headaches later...

Happy New Year to you too!