how to get a meter upgrade

Level 5
    hi everyone,how do you get eon to fit/upgrade a smart meter, mine has not given readings for 18months and all they say is "when we are in the area will will let you know" that was 12 months ago and im still waiting. any ideas would be appreciated.
  • 10 Replies

Level 91
    Is it a new install or a replacement?

A new install could be down to teams of engineers working in small areas to fit as many meter in a day as possible. But if that's not where you live............

A replacement? The programme to enroll SMETS 1 meters onto the DCC network is due for completion by end 2022. Will it be? When the programme is complete suppliers will then be able to identify permanently dumb meters for replacement. Will they replace them? The suppliers are under obligations to con as many of us as possible into getting Smart Meters, but under no obligation to keep them working as advertised. And there are no payments to customers when meters malfunction. So its anybody's guess what will happen in those circumstances. I doubt though whether a solution will be quick.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 5
    @meldrewreborn my meter wont send reading, hasnt since moving fro npower 18months ago, they told e the new programme should be complete by end of 2025. and i wont get a new one till after then when they know if mine will come back online
    Level 5
    this is todays reply from them. " unfortunately you have a 1st generation smart meter, while there are industry wide updates being undertaken currently, the current time frame for these to be completed in 2025, until this time has lapsed we will not replace the meters, as we are under the impression and assurance that your meter will be smart again once these updates have been completed."
    Level 92
    @bevel

If they are simply not phoning home then you are no worse off than those of us with non smart meters.
    If they aren't talking to your IHD, then you are no worse off than those of us with non smart meters.

If a non working smart meter made you any worse off than not having a smart meter, or disconnected your supply or something, then sure, they'd have no option but to do something about it. But despite having quotas in the industry to install as many as they can, they are under no obligation to correct problems or make them work properly.

Personally, I think there SHOULD be obligations and minimum service levels which should generate massive fines if not lived up to, but then I also think the energy industry should never have been privatised in the first place and bill payers should not be penalised on their standing charges to cover the cost of a poorly implemented system which has done nothing to actually benefit anyone, other than the energy industry itself.

Can you supply manual readings? Are you actually paying for your energy? If so, then you are in exactly the same position as over half the customers who either don't have smart meters, or whose meters don't work properly.

I'm not saying you shouldn't expect a properly working system. You should. But they are prioritising installing new meters to hit their quotas over making sure the old ones work. The chips are not stacked in your favour.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    @bevel

2 targets for different parts of the programme. This from the DCC website:

When will my SMETS1 meter be upgraded?

The majority of the dormant meters we can upgrade have been migrated to the network. If your meter has not been upgraded unfortunately we're unable to provide you with an exact date as to when this will happen. That's because we need to work together with the energy companies to migrate the remaining meters, as we can't do it on our own. The programme is due to be completed by the end of 2022. If there is a problem with migrating your meters, your energy supplier will arrange for second generation (SMETS2) meters to be installed.
    SMETS1 smart meters and how they're being upgraded | Smart DCC

End 2022 is the target date to migrate all SMETS1 meters to the DCC network. 2025 is the latest target date to enroll all households onto smart meters. In my view this target is likely to be missed - they're only just over 50% of the way there at the moment.
    Level 5
    @retrotecchie would like to take advantage of the new proposal for peak time energy use, its not my fault they wont fix my smart meter
    Level 91
    @bevel

Agreed. There is no performance standard for smart meters to be functional. Hence the extremely tardy approach to fixing meter issues. Complain to your MP.
    Level 92
    @retrotecchie would like to take advantage of the new proposal for peak time energy use, its not my fault they wont fix my smart meter

We all would, but it's a pilot trial, by invitation only and don't take any notice of the £100 they bandy about in the media. £15 to 40 is more realistic, over a year. So, even if you did have a fully working meter, you'd have about a one in a hundred chance of being invited.

Sorry. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 05-11-22 at 10:42.
    Level 5
    @retrotecchie but if the pilot works it goes live and we all benefit (if we have working smart meters) nobody is asking for free lunches i would be working within their rules