Wholesale prices v retail ripoff!

Level 13
    All the way through this thread you, perhaps inadvertently, led us to believe you were being charged a much higher rate than the rest of us. Until late in the thread you made no mention of the fact that you had a dual-rate tariff which carried a cheaper night rate that compensated for that high day rate. You are no worse off than the rest of us except that we enjoy lower rates because we pay by DD, and as you know, that doesn't mean you have to build up any credit balance if you choose to pay by Variable DD.

Yes it was inadvertent. But then again theyve made this deliberately over complicated. Because I dont conform and pay by DD I dont get total visibility on every possible permutation and what that means for me and/or other customers.

Its the nasty cheap airline model Im afraid. They laughably call it "choice", but al it does is smokescreen the fact none of us are actually any better off.
    Level 56
    Because I dont conform and pay by DD I dont get total visibility on every possible permutation and what that means for me and/or other customers.

Its the nasty cheap airline model Im afraid. They laughably call it "choice", but al it does is smokescreen the fact none of us are actually any better off.

For the future please familiarise yourself with all the tariffs (potentially) open to you via the Tariff Search Page

I agree that this pathway is more convoluted than it needs to be.

Bear in mind that if I can find all this information for Eastern region customers (or any region for that matter) so can you.

Let's all move on now 👌
    Level 91
    @ MAW

you get exactly the same visibility of available tariffs as the rest of us. Is it complicated? - yes it can be, but compared to situation pre the Ukraine invasion, when there were multiple offers from 40+ suppliers offering 12 or 24 month fixed deals (with stiff exit fees) as well as those at the variable price cap, today is in reality a doddle.

Your options now.

1) Decide whether E7 is actually the best deal for you. Would a standard tariff, with with the same electricity prices day and night, actually reduce your costs?

2) Decide whether to take an alternative tariff such as fixed or discounted variable would be worth adopting, but recognising

3) whether your continued opposition to DD is actually worth it. An approximate 7% reduction is not to be sneezed at, and principles sometimes come at a price.

4) if you do go for DD, then do you want a fixed monthly amount which mean your outgoings summer and winter are the same, or variable direct debit where your payments change month to month and will likely be higher in the winter than the summer. The best time to start a fixed monthly DD is now because the winter months are usually the most expensive and your account balance will be in debit for many months.

The ball is in your court for you to make the decisions.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 13
    @meldrewreborn

"you get exactly the same visibility of available tariffs as the rest of us. Is it complicated? "

I see only tariffs for non DD payers when logged on to my account.

My address does not come up on the general EON quote page, so I cant see anything there as I cant get past that stage. No exact addressy no quotey.

On my account page, which has my exact address on it there is no "If you chose to pay by VDD/DD you could have these tariffs" option.

Hope that helps.
    Level 92
    @MAW

You have access to all tariffs available to you under your current choice of payment method. As you have deliberately chosen, for your own reasons, to not pay by DD, then the potential alternative options are not available to you. I get that you might want to see the DD options to give you full range of comparisons, but you already know from what we have told you that a DD version of your existing tariff would be about 7% cheaper. All you need to do it look at the regional cap tables in the public domain to make an informed decision.

Once you then opt to pay by DD, whether variable or fixed, then the potential to be quoted alternative or better deals by the supplier falls into place.

To give you an example of the difference between payment methods for your consumption and usage, you could put your information in to this calculator just to see the difference for your current standard variable tariff, choose Eastern Region and compare the price.

For my region and usage, my prices would be £860 a year by paying by receipt of bill as you currently do, or £800 a year paying by Direct Debit.

A saving of £60 a year, or 7.5%. That's just on the standard variable (Next Flex) tariff. By having a DD already in place, I was offered a choice of several alternative DD only fixes. The one I chose in July fixed for 12 months is saving me around 21% compared to a non-DD variable tariff.

7.5% off is not to be sniffed at, just for changing the payment method Saving over 20% by having access to a wider range of options because I pay by DD and therefore have access to better deals...that's even better.

Last edited by retrotecchie; 23-10-23 at 16:01.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 56
    @meldrewreborn

"you get exactly the same visibility of available tariffs as the rest of us. Is it complicated? "

I see only tariffs for non DD payers when logged on to my account.

My address does not come up on the general EON quote page, so I cant see anything there as I cant get past that stage. No exact addressy no quotey.

On my account page, which has my exact address on it there is no "If you chose to pay by VDD/DD you could have these tariffs" option.

Hope that helps.

Please please please go to the link I have now posted three times in this thread

Click HERE

Put in your actual postcode and press the red button and Voila

Name:  Findyourtariff.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  33.2 KB
    I put in a postcode from the Ipswich area which generated all the tariffs potentially available to Eastern region customers.

I'll say again that it is a convoluted way of seeing all the tariffs potentially available to anyone in the Eastern region so will include DD tariffs, TOU tariffs, EV tariffs and so on. Some of them state ineligible because they need stuff like an EV for example.
    Last edited by Mailman; 23-10-23 at 16:31.
    Level 13
    Deliberately withholding that wider information to me on my account page is weird. Why would they do that? Why not just show all tariffs with all required terms and conditions and let me choose? And if I so choose a particular tariff, why not just say "If you want this price plan, you must set up a DD". There, simple. whats the big problem with that? Why all the secret squirrel "ooooh you dont pay by DD at the moment, so we arent going to tell you, youll have to find out by yourself" nonsense?

"All you need to do it look at the regional cap tables in the public domain to make an informed decision" ...I didnt even know the " regional cap tables" existed. I guess it must be too difficult for EON, the £multi billion energy company to show all this in a manageable format on my account page.
    Level 13
    @Mailman and I think I have said multiple times, I put my postcode in, but my exact address does not come up. I dont know why. So thats that.
    Level 56
    @MAW

Try following the link https://www.eonnext.com/tariff-search and then put in your postcode.

Name:  Pressingtherightbuttons.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  134.3 KB

I know it works for a postcode IP10 as you can see and it will list 13 different tariffs - perhaps tooo much to list on your account homepage.