Wholesale prices v retail ripoff!

Level 91
    38p per kWh is a mistake somewhere, either by @MAW, which seems unlikely given that they’ve checked or by Eon Next, which is entirely plausible. But only Eon staff , @Beki_EONNext, can check this.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 91
    38p per kWh is a mistake somewhere...

38p per kWh looks very much like the current day rate of an Economy 7 tariff.
    @MAW are you on E7? Can you post a screenshot of your current tariff rates from your online account or Eon Next app as a couple of us have done on here please?
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 13
    Hi there. No, not on E7. Heres a screenshot of what my online account homepage is saying. However, after reading your comment (thanks!) I noticed this is different to my latest bill in Oct a few days ago - which shows Electricity at 36.31p, and Gas at 6.8p per unit. So, going by the bill its slightly less now. As a comparisson in Dec 2020 - same Next Flex tariff and the last month before the Covid insanity where we can say the world was "normal" - electrcity was 17.01p and Gas was 3.62p.

We have had inflation problems I know, but the wholesale price for the energy market is now more or less back to where it was then, and has been since April. Given that price collapse from the Ukraine war artificially inflated highs and taking into account "Net Zero" induced costs (imposed without a vote or debate), I would expect prices to now be back down to around 10% to 20% higher than 2020. Surely not 100%.

Someone somewhere is doing alright. Maybe this headline from "Utlitity Week" in August 2023 is a little clue... " Eon has reported a doubling of its UK pre-tax profits in its half year financial statement. The energy firm reported that sales in the UK rose by €2.3 billion (£2 billion) to €14.6 billion (£12.6 billion), with its adjusted EBITDA soaring by €487 million (£420 million) to €839 million (£724 million).".... who needs heating when theres heart warming stories like that eh?

But back to the matter in hand, there is a discrepency which I need to sort out. I will give them a call. Again.

Many thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Level 77
    Hi there. No, not on E7. Heres a screenshot of what my online account homepage is saying. However, after reading your comment (thanks!) I noticed this is different to my latest bill in Oct a few days ago - which shows Electricity at 36.31p, and Gas at 6.8p per unit. So, going by the bill its slightly less now. As a comparisson in Dec 2020 - same Next Flex tariff and the last month before the Covid insanity where we can say the world was "normal" - electrcity was 17.01p and Gas was 3.62p.

We have had inflation problems I know, but the wholesale price for the energy market is now more or less back to where it was then, and has been since April. Given that price collapse from the Ukraine war artificially inflated highs and taking into account "Net Zero" induced costs (imposed without a vote or debate), I would expect prices to now be back down to around 10% to 20% higher than 2020. Surely not 100%.

Someone somewhere is doing alright. Maybe this headline from "Utlitity Week" in August 2023 is a little clue... " Eon has reported a doubling of its UK pre-tax profits in its half year financial statement. The energy firm reported that sales in the UK rose by €2.3 billion (£2 billion) to €14.6 billion (£12.6 billion), with its adjusted EBITDA soaring by €487 million (£420 million) to €839 million (£724 million).".... who needs heating when theres heart warming stories like that eh?

But back to the matter in hand, there is a discrepency which I need to sort out. I will give them a call. Again.

Many thanks
    Looks like Economy 7. This is the Economy 7 tariff for my area. If you don't need that tariff definitely contact Customer Services pronto.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by WizzyWigg; 23-10-23 at 07:53. Reason: Grammar correction
    Level 91
    no screenshot, but if @MAW is on a variable price tariff, which seems the only possibility given avoidance of DD, then they’re being charged more than the OFGEM statutory price cap which is probably illegal.
    rectification of past bills will probably be necessary and a complaint entirely justified.
    Level 13
    no screenshot, but if @MAW is on a variable price tariff, which seems the only possibility given avoidance of DD, then they’re being charged more than the OFGEM statutory price cap which is probably illegal.
    rectification of past bills will probably be necessary and a complaint entirely justified.

thanks Yep. Something isnt right somewhere.
    Hey @MAW, do you have a meter that has both a day and a night reading?

I've just seen from your screenshot that you do, thanks for that. So the unit prices during 'peak' times (your day rate), are offset by the extremely low off peak rate.

If you have storage heaters or an electric vehicle then this will help you save money in the long run through using the 'off peak' timings. If you don't use your off peak hours very much, then you have the option to go on a standard flat rate tariff.
    Last edited by Beki; 23-10-23 at 07:48. Reason: More info
    Level 91
    Eon has both generating companies in the UK and retail supply companies. The former will be reporting good profits but the latter might well be just breaking even. Some energy retail companies might go out of business, repeating the shambles of 2 years ago.

According to the filing at companies house the LOSS for Eon Next in 2022 was £m335. The devil is in the detail.
    Last edited by meldrewreborn; 23-10-23 at 07:59.
    Level 13
    @Beki_EONNext

My view is I still shouldnt be charged anything like that much for the day rate regardless.
    Level 91
    @MAW

With a day and a night rate it looks like Economy 7 or similar to me. If you don’t benefit from the low rate at night then you need to be on a single rate tariff for sure.