Next Drive - information

Level 5
    I'm trying to find information about this tariff - can you help?

I have an electric car and a PodPoint charging point and so would like to consider this tariff. The unit rate of 9.5p/kWh between midnight and 7am is quite attractive. So far I have been unable to get a smartmeter, but a mobile phone mast has recently been installed nearby, so I'm hoping coverage might allow me to have one soon. My efforts are frustrating but I remain optimistic!

I'm wondering if the Next Drive tariff is similar to the old Economy 7 tariff? In particular:-
    1. Does the daytime tariff increase to compensate for the lower night time tariff?
    2. Does this tariff mean I can't sign up for a different fixed term tariff, to reduce my daytime tariff?
    3. If I am on the Next Drive tariff, can I get lower priced electricity for using other high power items during the time from midnight to 7am? For example, I heat my house using a heat pump - can I get cheap electricity if I start this before 7am?

I have asked Eon Next, but they say they can't provide any information about the tariff until I have a smart meter. But I don't know if it is worthwhile fighting to get a smart meter, unless I get a bit more information about the Next Drive tariff. It's all a bit circular.

Any help or information you can give is very gratefully received.

Eric
  • 1 Reply

Level 28
    I'm trying to find information about this tariff - can you help?

I have an electric car and a PodPoint charging point and so would like to consider this tariff. The unit rate of 9.5p/kWh between midnight and 7am is quite attractive. So far I have been unable to get a smartmeter, but a mobile phone mast has recently been installed nearby, so I'm hoping coverage might allow me to have one soon. My efforts are frustrating but I remain optimistic!

I'm wondering if the Next Drive tariff is similar to the old Economy 7 tariff? In particular:-
    1. Does the daytime tariff increase to compensate for the lower night time tariff?
    2. Does this tariff mean I can't sign up for a different fixed term tariff, to reduce my daytime tariff?
    3. If I am on the Next Drive tariff, can I get lower priced electricity for using other high power items during the time from midnight to 7am? For example, I heat my house using a heat pump - can I get cheap electricity if I start this before 7am?

I have asked Eon Next, but they say they can't provide any information about the tariff until I have a smart meter. But I don't know if it is worthwhile fighting to get a smart meter, unless I get a bit more information about the Next Drive tariff. It's all a bit circular.

Any help or information you can give is very gratefully received.

Eric
    The next drive tariff is a time of use (tou) tariff so during the cheap rate period between midnight and 7 am you can run any device you like to get the benefit of the cheap rate electricity. (For instance, I roasted a chicken at 5:30am yesterday 😄)

You will need a smart meter since it monitors your electricity use every half hour

The daytime rate is marginally more expensive than the standard rate but the overall saving is significant - on my statement the average household usage over the past couple of months has worked out at a rate of 20p per kilowatt hour.
    Last edited by geoffers; 20-10-23 at 14:54.