Account £371 in credit and my direct debit has been increased!

Level 1
    Hi,

I guess I'm lucky that my account is in credit, at the moment it is £371 in credit. However, this month, despite being in credit, my direct debit has been increased by £70 per month, to £270.

The most I have used so far in a month whilst being with EON next is £180, my average usage is about £120.

I have tried to reduce the direct debit online, but for "my own protection", I cannot reduce it by more than 10% online. I have tried calling Eon next 10 times over the past 3 days, each time hanging up after more than 40 minutes on hold. I have also tried Whatsapp and not still not got to speak to anyone.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by northernmonkey; 02-11-22 at 14:55. Reason: Spelling
  • 5 Replies

Level 18
    Best time to ring E.on Next is bang on 9.00am when they open up. I guarantee you will be dealt with within 20 minutes
    Level 5
    i just messaged them and said reduce my dd to what i wanted and they did
    Level 1
    @northernmonkey

When it comes to Credit build up you would want at least 1 and a half months to 2 months worth of Credit built up on your account as you head into the Winter months.

Sadly, even with the Governments Energy Bills Support Scheme taken in to account, energy bill's still increased and many people are finding their Direct Debits have increased.

From October the 1st, energy prices rose by 27%.

That's 27% higher than what we were paying during the Spring and Summer months but significantly lower than what had previously been predicted.

So your Direct Debits should reflect this 27% increase.

By what you are saying your Direct Debits have risen from £200 to £270pm and by my calculations that would mean they have set your payment about £16 per month more than is necessary (@ 27% increase your DD should be around £254 pm) however with their calculations you will be paying an extra £192 more than is necessary over the next 12 months (if energy prices remain as they are now).

You should be able to lower your Direct Debits on your online account by at least 10%. If I was you, I would lower my DD to £254 and keep a close eye on it over the coming months and increase or decrease (if you can) as and when needed or pay off any extra as 'one offs'. This way, you won't need to contact E.on Next and waste time and energy trying to get in touch with them. Also, if by January you're still adding to your credit rather than seeing it decrease ask for a small credit refund. Just make sure there is enough in your account to cover the extra cost up until April.

Hope that makes sense 'cause I'm trying to write this while being nagged by kids and dogs and my brain is totally fried!

Good Luck

Level 92

Hope that makes sense 'cause I'm trying to write this while being nagged by kids and dogs and my brain is totally fried!

I reckon that makes sense. If you substitute 'wife' for 'kids' in your last sentence, you completely describe my world. Fortunately the kids have grown up and flown the coop and I was enjoying a quieter life until her indoors decided to get a couple of Cocker Spaniel puppies...you try typing posts on a tablet when you have one on each arm of the chair and their silly ears keep getting in the way 😜
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 1
    @retrotecchie

Lol that gave me a good giggle. 😆 Nothing like a bit of chaos to keep life interesting 🤣