No usage shown for over 2 weeks now.

Level 5
    @retrotecchie Apologies, I'm just an end-user here, I don't work in the industry so some of what I say is likely to be incorrect, I'm sure!

My understanding was that SMETS1 meters (which is what my meter was when I moved-into my current property) used the mobile-phone network, as did the IHDs. Originally, I was able to use my IHD in my property, and the signal was strongest near a window -- which would certainly suggest use of a mobile-network. But for SMETS2, the IHD only connects to your smart-meter, and the smart-meter now uses some private-network operated by a Government-founded body called the "DCC", which energy-companies can contact, but no-one from the public.

Since the SMETS2 update of my smart-meter a couple of years-ago, my IHD no-longer functions as my flat / apartment is on the third-floor, and all of the meters are in a communal area on the ground-floor. I understand there is another body setup to find solutions / workarounds to this, called the "Alt HAN" group, which, again, members of the public are prohibited from direct-contact with.

If anything is incorrect there, feel-free to correct me, BUT -- I would argue, politely: should I really have to know any of this as an end-user anyway?

The whole-point of smart-meters is they are supposed to offer two clear benefits to me as an end-user: (1) meter-readings getting submitted automatically; and (2) that I can use an IHD device to see my live energy-use, and historical data. Currently, I can do neither. So the main point here is that I'd like both issues to get sorted. I shouldn't really have to know all the technical-terms and appointed-bodies and white-papers and so-on... it should just work!
    Level 92
    @dftf

If only things did work, but the number of smart meter installations that don't work run into tens of thousands.

The thing is, if we as consumers had to pay directly for our smart meters and they were our property, we would have comeback, consumer protection and the ability to chase up problems or get our money back. That is sadly not the case. The meter is owned by and is the responsibility of the supplier, and their only legally mandated requirement is to have a meter capable of accurately recording energy consumption. Unfortunately, every customer, whether we have or want a smart meter or not is paying for the whole mess through our exorbitant standing charges.

And all the time the whole mess is run by a combination of OFGEM, DCC (part of Capita) and BEIS...the problem won't be fixed any time soon.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 56

No idea how I'm supposed to responsibly track energy usage when 50% of the time the smart meter is useless.

Auto bill was due 2 weeks ago now but obviously late because the smart meter isnt sending data to E.on.

Bizarrely daily usage on the ihd seems to be working fine .

Absolute ballache for me taking a manual gas reading as it requires the use of 2 mirrors and a phone camera and a fair bit of contortion as the pevious house owners built a cupboard around the gas meter at a bizarre angle .

Is your IHD showing your meter reads (mine does) as well as your daily usage (mine does in the history menu)?

I record daily usage (the morning of the day after in question) from the IHD into a spreadsheet of my own so I am able to track usage and costs over a billing month very accurately. The reads from the IHD do tally with my meters. Fortunately my meters (SMETS 2) are also able to automatically connect to the DCC so I don't have to submit manual reads.
    Last edited by Mailman; 03-12-23 at 11:39.
    Level 92
    @Mailman

I thought dodgy smart meters were running into the tens of thousands. It appears the figure is much higher than that. 2.7 million, or almost 8% of the installed smart meter base.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-67591320

Level 56
    @Mailman

I thought dodgy smart meters were running into the tens of thousands. It appears the figure is much higher than that. 2.7 million, or almost 8% of the installed smart meter base.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-67591320

Is this article really talking about the number of meters that have lost their ability to connect to the DCC (i.e. gone dumb or have always been dumb) rather than meters that are not recording usage. However you look at it, the smart meter problem is an monumental male hen up (and expensive) with little sign of things getting better for those affected. 🤔
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie

i’ve posted about this several times. The government publishes a summary every quarter.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ics_Report.pdf
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

The government data is good to know but I just wish they published more detailed statistics. The breakdown just seems to be split by group. Large energy suppliers and small energy suppliers.

It would be good to see more granular statistics, by individual supplier. Number of customers. Customers with traditional rather than smart meters, and of those smart meters, how many are performing 100% as advertised. Not just whether a meter is sending readings or not (which is all the government data tells us) but whether the IHD is a) provided, b) working and c) accurately displaying data consistently.

I would also be interested in the number of meters which stop working, lose comms or have needed to be replaced. But I fear that if the real truth came out, the backlash against smart metering would rise exponentially.

There are lies and then there are d4mn lies. There are statistics and then there are government statistics. Whenever you ask a statistician for the meaning of the data, their reply is usually 'what do you want it to mean?'.

Last edited by retrotecchie; 04-12-23 at 11:29.
    Level 78
    I've said a few times my meters have minds of their own. Did some investigation and 45% of the time they are dumb. Suppose that's not bad really 🌞, it could be worse 😂.
    Level 92
    @WizzyWigg

I don't have a smart meter so you could infer my meter is dumb 100% of the time. But it records usage which is all that is legally mandated. With regular readings, a spreadsheet and my own 'smarts' there's nothing I need to know that I can't figure out for myself.

'Smart' in my book means not needing external agencies to tell me what I already have right in front of me whenever I need it.

Level 78
    @WizzyWigg

I don't have a smart meter so you could infer my meter is dumb 100% of the time. But it records usage which is all that is legally mandated. With regular readings, a spreadsheet and my own 'smarts' there's nothing I need to know that I can't figure out for myself.

'Smart' in my book means not needing external agencies to tell me what I already have right in front of me whenever I need it.
    Hence I didn't think 45% was bad. My spreadsheet is like yours 100% smart 😂. Or should that be 142.513%. 😂😂😂😂.
    Last edited by WizzyWigg; 04-12-23 at 12:28. Reason: Grammar mistake