Announcement on National Grid Demand Flexibility Service (DFS)

Level 5
    @PeterT_EONNext Any update from the Energy Shift team? Before we go round the house turning everything off at the plug haha
    Level 1
    I'm not impressed with how the scheme is implemented. It favors high-energy users who already had high energy usage and get an incentive to reduce. Whereas in my case I always did the evening cooking prior to 5.30 pm and was asked to reduce my usage to less than 0.2kwh between 5.30-6.30 pm when we already used next to nothing. This reduction request was based on historical usage. So what I should have been doing was cooking at peak time then it would have been easier to shift my cooking time outside peaking time.

Because we already not using energy between 5.30-6.30 pm it was difficult to make the saving without turning off things like the freezer and central heating pump. Where someone who had historically high usage would find it easier. My opinion is that everyone below a certain usage during peak time should be rewarded, and those desperate to be high-usage customers during peak time should be charged more per kWh.

I saved 35p.
    Level 5
    I sort-of did the first Energy Shift - I wasn't at home but before I left the house I switched off and unplugged everything except the fridge and freezer. But apparently failed to reach the goal. So the second time, I did the same but also switched the fridge and freezer off, and sat in the dark for an hour... all for 0.08p!! I'm definitely not going to bother again for such little reward when I see that others getting more for less effort.
    Level 92
    @hendersonm

About what I save turning my main switch off for an hour. No amount of 'incentive' would convince me to have a so-called smart meter. I'm no Mastermind, but even I can outsmart them with a conventional meter and a spreadsheet.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 16
    I'm not impressed with how the scheme is implemented. It favors high-energy users who already had high energy usage and get an incentive to reduce. Whereas in my case I always did the evening cooking prior to 5.30 pm and was asked to reduce my usage to less than 0.2kwh between 5.30-6.30 pm when we already used next to nothing. This reduction request was based on historical usage. So what I should have been doing was cooking at peak time then it would have been easier to shift my cooking time outside peaking time.

Because we already not using energy between 5.30-6.30 pm it was difficult to make the saving without turning off things like the freezer and central heating pump. Where someone who had historically high usage would find it easier. My opinion is that everyone below a certain usage during peak time should be rewarded, and those desperate to be high-usage customers during peak time should be charged more per kWh.

I saved 35p.

When I first heard about the National Grid Demand Flexibility Service I started charging our electric vehicles in the early evening so that I would have a high peak time target for the Energy Shift. Today I've been told that I will get a credit of £6.37. 😉
    Level 5
    I don't see any pattern in the amount we can supposedly possible earn.

15 Nov, I achieved a 77% saving, increasing the nominal £0.52, to £1.09

I tried harder second time around, making a 98% saving, increasing the nominal £0.47, to a whopping great £0.92 😒.

So extra effort & savings are rewarded with a much lower amount?

I'm not going to pull out of the scheme altogether, but unless we get some useful information here from E.ON, I won't be trying to maximize my energy saving any more.
    Level 1
    well, it seems that some of us, well perhaps a lot of us, need to ignore the scheme for the moment and shift our usage to peak times to build up some historically high usage, then rejoin the scheme in the future to make a few quid more easily.
    Level 6
    For me running under 55w for the hour
    i got
    "You reduced your energy usage by 86% which means you'll get £0.82 credited to your account."
    🙄

Last edited by Lee29; 25-11-22 at 10:29.
    Level 1
    Hi Peter,

Eon hasn’t been able to read our meter since 1 September. We want to take part in the Energy Shift but can’t until this is resolved. Can you help?
    Level 92
    @GlenH

Can I ask you to try the Citizens Advice smart meter checker and see what that says?

https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Suspicious that it was the first of the month...but everyone round here lost their smart meters on either 01 Oct or 01 Nov as that was when EE and then Vodafone switched off 3g in our part of the world. The wife and I knew about the 3g as our phone contracts had to be changed! DCC haven't provisioned any alternative network for smart meters in our remote hinterland.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 28-11-22 at 13:17.