Direct debit increase

Level 56
    My estimated electricity usage on my last bill was 2352 kWh whereas my actual usage over the past 12 months was 2374 kWh (higher by 22kWh so very close) with monthly reads taken automatically from smart meter.

Perhaps the OP might look over the last 6 bills and see what the estimated electricity usage numbers have been like is and to make sure that reads used on their bills are marked as 'Smart' rather than 'Estimated'.

If you need to take it up with Eon Next CS have a conversation on the kWh consumed on an annual basis. 👍
    Level 1
    All reads are labeled as Smart.
    Sure, I could ignore that annual usage figure, as it clearly fluctuates like mad, and even the lower ones are too high. What I can't ignore is the direct debit amount they set. Which is more than double actual usage. I could understand that if the account was behind, but having checked last night, it's £375 in credit.

Best method of taking it up with CS?
    Level 91
    @Onefish

Definitely contact customer service. If you can look back to a bill from 12 months ago and calculate your actual annual usage since then, you can present them with that so that an accurate monthly DD can be calculated also taking your credit balance into account.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 56
    All reads are labeled as Smart.
    Sure, I could ignore that annual usage figure, as it clearly fluctuates like mad, and even the lower ones are too high. What I can't ignore is the direct debit amount they set. Which is more than double actual usage. I could understand that if the account was behind, but having checked last night, it's £375 in credit.

Best method of taking it up with CS?

Here is what I would do if I was in your situation (using my numbers as an example).

August 1st Smart Reading 2022 (or thereabouts in your case) = 2479 units of electricity
    August 1st Smart Reading 2023 = 4853 units
    Total last year = 4853-2479 = 2374 units i.e. 2374 kWh units of electricity

Cost (on present Loyalty v4 tariff) using 28.98p/kWh and SC of 51p/day assuming same consumption for next year

= (0.51*365) +(0.2898*2374) = 186.15 + 687.98 = £ 874.13 pa

Monthly cost = 874.13/12 = £72.84 rounded up by an extra 10% (for a heavier winter) say £80 pcm to comfortably service my usage over the next 12 months if I was paying for electricity only to Eon Next and on a fixed DD. I'd try to get as much of the current credit refunded NOW rather than cluttering up the calculation for the DD even though Eon could do this. No harm in asking for some of this refund at the same time.

Have these figures laid out in front of you before contacting Eon Next CS.

Reassess this amount yourself when your current fix runs out.
    Last edited by Mailman; 08-08-23 at 10:25.
    Level 91
    @Onefish

Could you post a table of actual readings over past 12 months - so that we can see some definitive information. How is your home heated? do you have any appliances that will use large amounts of power intermittently.

You can post images - look for 3rd icon from right in the icon bar when you post a message.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 56
    @Onefish

Could you post a table of actual readings over past 12 months - so that we can see some definitive information. How is your home heated? do you have any appliances that will use large amounts of power intermittently.

You can post images - look for 3rd icon from right in the icon bar when you post a message.

The OP has gas for CH and DHW.

I agree that the readings for the OP's electricity (all smart) should be laid out in their online account under 'View Meter Read History' - these are mine all 'Smart' and these are the reads used on all the bills I've received.

Name:  Metr_Read_History.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  20.4 KB
    Level 1
    @meldrewreborn

At work at the moment.
    We would definitely be to the lower end of users. No electric heating of any kind. No hot water tank. No separate freezer. No fish tank or pond. No electric shower. Two people, working full time etc.

Anyway, the problem isn't the usage. On the bills, that's all fine. The readings are all smart.

Just had a quick look.
    April 2022 reading was 700.0
    April 2023 reading was 2539.5

So 1839.5 units for the year. At 26 p a unit.
    Standing charge 53p a day.

The latest statement says our average usage is 5.99 units per day for that billing period.

It also says our estimated annual use is
    36215.4 units. I think that's 99 a day!

And annual usage in money is £10,218.48.

All three of those comments are on the SAME statement.
    Level 56

Just had a quick look.
    April 2022 reading was 700.0
    April 2023 reading was 2539.5

So 1839.5 units for the year. At 26 p a unit.
    Standing charge 53p a day.

The latest statement says our average usage is 5.99 units per day for that billing period.

It also says our estimated annual use is
    36215.4 units. I think that's 99 a day!

And annual usage in money is £10,218.48.

All three of those comments are on the SAME statement.

Given those readings there is no way you should be stumping up anything like the amount Eon Next wish to set your DD at given that you said you are in credit by £300+

However, what about more up-to date readings? From say August 22 to August 23? Grab these from the online account, with an indication of the actual balance showing on your online account as off the last bill date and balance arising after this last bill generation.
    Level 1
    14th July 2023 smart reading 2986.7

There doesn't seem to be a statement from July 2022

But as I posted April 2022 it was 700.0

Ah. Found one from August 2nd 2022, smart reading 1566.0
    Last edited by Onefish; 08-08-23 at 13:01.
    Level 91
    @Onefish

is it possible gas and electric readings are being mixed - by eon not you?