Storage heater and hot water not working since Smart Meter install - Economy 7

View Tag Cloud
    Level 1
    @SPJ

Potentially, the engineer is being deployed to do the programming locally? I'm not overly familiar with modern meters, but back when I used to play with them regularly, some had to be programmed using a hand-held terminal with an optical connection to the meter on the FLAG interface.

I would have thought that a newer smart meter would have the capability to enable this remotely, but as I say, I'm not too up to date on these newer meters.

The fact it has the fifth terminal clearly indicates it's the right meter electrically.

Thank you, that's very helpful. I think a large part of the issue is that the people we are talking to don't have the technical knowledge, and don't understand how the system works, so they just arrange another visit.

The last engineer was here for half a day, and concluded that everything was correct on site, the night storage heaters were working etc, and it was a remote programming issue -- which has not been fixed yet!
    Level 92
    @SPJ

I would doubt if very many of their customer service representatives were formerly commercial electrical engineers with 30+ years of hands-on site experience...

This is information from the smartme website :

Smart meters with 5 terminals have an auxiliary load control switch (ALCS) within the meter itself which can be used to switch a second electrical circuit off and on. The switching pattern can be set via:

1. A calendar in the meter providing the schedule, or
    2. The supplier sending ad hoc commands as required.

The first option above is very like the Economy 7 meters used to control storage heaters today.The second option here would allow the supplier to act in case of a system emergency, for example when wind generation is suddenly higher or lower than expected.
    In both cases the customer has to agree to the overall process before the supplier can use it.

Read more at: https://www.smartme.co.uk/load-control.html © SmartMe.co.uk
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 19-01-23 at 14:05.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 1
    We have had the exact same issue since our smart meter was installed on Jan 23rd.
    did you get any solution in the end?

we are in the process of trying to get the meter changed back to a non-smart model since the engineer that came to check found no fault but it’s proving difficult when they keep saying there are no appointments currently available.

I keep staying up until midnight right now just to manually switch the boost button on so we can get some hot water without being charged the peak rate. Absolute nightmare doing this for the past 6 weeks especially when you work full time.
    Level 91
    @RHannahT

If your meter has 5 thick wires then it’s the correct meter. But the switching of the supply to the 5th wire , which is your off peak supply, is done though software commands either by the engineer or from the supplier over the network. If this hasn’t been set up then that is the root cause of the problem. Clearly the supplier is at fault for implementing a meter swap that currently isn’t functioning E7. Customer services need to send the appropriate commands to make it work as it should.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 2
    Hi

@AthiqueAhmed, @RHannahT and @SPJ, was this resolved?

I also have old storage heaters over 30 years old. I have a smart meter fitting appointment on Thurs, but now reading this, I’m wondering if I should cancel and move to a supplier who doesn’t have this problem!

thanks
    Level 1
    Nope. still unresolved for me. I’ve tried contacting Eon so many times now and they just keep saying oh it’s a third party that deals with Smart Meters and they can’t tell me when they’ll have an answer. It’s ridiculous.
    Level 2
    Oh, that is ridiculous. Esp after all this time!

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. If I were you, I’d be putting in a complaint through whatever governing body that deals with utilities.

I’m going to cancel my appointment.
    Level 92
    Hi

@AthiqueAhmed, @RHannahT and @SPJ, was this resolved?

I also have old storage heaters over 30 years old. I have a smart meter fitting appointment on Thurs, but now reading this, I’m wondering if I should cancel and move to a supplier who doesn’t have this problem!

thanks

The only suppliers that still fully support these old legacy heating systems with complex meters are SSE or OVO.
    Level 2
    The only suppliers that still fully support these old legacy heating systems with complex meters are SSE or OVO.

Thanks Retrotecchie 👍