No result

View Tag Cloud
    Level 56
    Not sure where anyone has said use devices you wouldn't normally use that day. Just "shift" what you can to that in-day adjustment period to maximise your savings.

That not only shifts usage away from the peak demand period but also aids the amount the customer can received. Win/Win

Agreed no one least of all your goodself has suggested this BUT when I see amounts being posted by both your self and actual I do wonder. For example your £ reward from 23rd January was £14.22 which by my reckoning is approximately the cost of 44kWh of electricity (in the NE exc standing daily charge) and yet you only reduced your usage by 5.69kWh during the event having increased it in the 3 hour window by ?? Do you know what it was (i,e the extra juice flowing ?? compared to normal) for the in day adjustment period? If it is less than 44kWh-5.69kWh then you can see where I am going with this train of thought - probably flawed no doubt🤣

Edit: But of course you need to show what your actual usage was for the whole day in question as I now realise 🥂
    Last edited by Mailman; 25-01-23 at 11:26.
    Level 56
    @Mailman

Seems to me rather counterintuitive to deliberately use high energy appliances (costing money to run) that you wouldn't have used otherwise, just to get usage high enough to give you enough of a saving in the DFS window.

I agree which is why I have just asked @Mstty for more data from his spreadsheet as the rewards for inflating the 'in day adjustment' might make the a distinct possibility although there is an even larger chance of it being my own flawed maths! 😅
    Level 1
    @Mailman

we are electircty only and have an Air Source Heat Pump
    Here is what we shifted on the 23rd 1pm-4pm period

Heated a tank of hot water to 55oC from 18oC normal day occurrence just shifted it
    cooked our hot meal at 1pm instead of 5-6pm
    Having been told of the energy shift event held off putting the dishwasher on the night before til 1pm
    2 loads of washing
    2 tumble dryer loads just squeezed in the 1-3pm session
    Heated the garage gym from 5oC to 17oC for a 2pm workout rather than the morning so we shifted that usage

Total usage 1pm-4pm 17.24kwh

Average for the past 10 days 5pm-6pm was 2kwh

Usage on 23rd 5pm-6pm 160wh (fridge freezer inside, freezer outside, router with nest system and house alarm)

My spreadsheet predicted £15.37 reward at £2.50 kWh but it was off by over £1 as I only got £14.22. so some work to do there but it's in the ball park and I will check again when we get the results of 24th Jan event.

We are fortunate in that we both work from home full time and given the notice from the day before can shift much of our usage to the in day adjustment period without too much hassle.

Last edited by Mstty; 25-01-23 at 12:18. Reason: Typos
    Level 92
    @Mailman

we are electircty only and have an Air Source Heat Pump
    Here is what we shifted on the 23rd 1pm-4pm period

Heated a tank of hot water to 55oC from 18oC normal day occurrence just shifted it
    cooked our hot meal at 1pm instead of 5-6pm
    Having been told of the energy shift event held off putting the dishwasher on the night before til 1pm
    2 loads of washing
    2 tumble dryer loads just squeezed in the 1-3pm session
    Heated the garage gym from 5oC to 17oC for a 2pm workout rather than the morning so we shifted that usage

Total usage 1pm-3pm 17.24kwh

You are exactly the sort of high user that the scheme is targeted at. You used 17.24kWh over a two hour period. My house with two of us and running a business from home consumes that much over two days as my daily average is just over 8kWh of electricity. Very little can be shifted as the majority of our usage is the 'background' fridges, freezers, router and the like. We tend to cook at lunchtime anyway with a light supper at 'tea time'. Washing and occasional tumble drying happens when it happens, but usually the middle of the day anyway.

Those of us with more frugal energy usage patterns don't stand to gain very much if anything but we get our rewards from much lower energy bills in the first place. I personally calculate I'm not losing on the deal!

Last edited by retrotecchie; 25-01-23 at 11:58.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 56
    Total usage 1pm-3pm 17.24kwh

Average for the past 10 days 5pm-6pm was 2kwh

Usage on 23rd 5pm-6pm 160wh (fridge freezer inside, freezer outside, router with nest system and house alarm)

My spreadsheet predicted £15.37 reward at £2.50 kWh but it was off by over £1 as I only got £14.22. so some work to do there but it's in the ball park and I will check again when we get the results of 24th Jan event.

We are fortunate in that we both work from home full time and given the notice from the day before can shift much of our usage to the in day adjustment period without too much hassle.

Thanks

Last but not least, what is your daily average for your household over similar non-event days? and what what your total usage in the day in question? Anywhere near 40kWh?

Like @retrotecchie, my electricity usage is somewhat frugal (gas CH, no EV, no ASHP obviously) with a January average of 7kWh/day so only limited energy shifting available anyway.

I'll have a good look at the formula used in the next few days to see what the numbers say for my circumstances.
    Level 1
    @retrotecchie I completely disagree. We do have higher winter use for sure but average less than 200kwh May-Sept

With our heat pump and no other energy supply but electricity with a 4/5 bedroom detached house to heat/hot water and energy usage we are on target for the year 1st April 2022-31st March 2023 to use 6100kwh for the whole year.

What we are doing is receiving the notification the day before and shifting what we can to the in day adjustment 3 hour period (I edited my post accidentally said 1-3pm when I meant 1-4pm)

Our 6100kwh even on the SVT EPG rates would still only be £2200 for the year and it's actually £1800 taking into account the £400 discount. With this energy shirting scheme we may even knock £120-200 off that. Bringing us down to a very slender £133.33 per month DD

The fact we are on a fix until 1st April 2024 at 29.24p kWh actually means (taking all the above into account)the yearly bill til 31st March 2023 is likely to work out at £114.30p a month on DD

As I have said before this is not for people that are adverse to daily schedule change or looking what they can bring forward in the week and not repeat to the in day adjustment period.

I know for sure one of my parents would not entertain such a thing.

With the payment for yesterday hitting £4-5.50 per kWh depending on who you were signed up to it would have been easy to earn a minimum of £10 by using the in day adjustment period.
    Level 1
    @Mailman

Daily average for Jan this year will be 32kwh a day but 15-20kwh of this will be heat with hot water 2-4kwh all depends on the outside temperature and the COP we get. Colder the weather less bang for your ASHP buck.

Attached is last year's usage curve, like I have said in another post we are heading for 6100kwh total usage 1st April2022-31st March2023 as we are running a far more efficient weather compensation curve this winter for heating.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Level 92
    @Mstty

Our usage throughout the year is pretty consistent. We use more lighting in the darker months and less in summer, but our daily average is still around the 8kWh mark all year round because the baseline load is pretty even. Obviously energy shifting possibly won't apply in the summer months although I can see this changing in future...encouraging us to use a little more in the March-November period because of low heating demands and higher availability of solar and wind.

We have an 1840s solid stone detached cottage 1000ft above sea level in sight of the Atlantic coast so although it doesn't have perhaps as many occupants or space to heat, it has a significantly higher thermal mass than many properties. Warming it up from a standing start in winter can be a bugger, but it's actually quite easy to maintain a steady indoor temperature of 16-17°C all year round so it's swings and roundabouts for us.
    Level 1
    @Mailman

In the interest of transparency given the £4.37 payout per kWh saved on yesterday's event. We did take this opportunity to move some monthly events forward such as a washing machine drum clean at 90oC and a dishwasher hotest cycle clean as well.

What we also did yesterday was ramp up the ASHP between 1-4pm which was an eye opener because when we turned it off at 5pm it didn't spark back up again until midnight so we literally shifted 11 hours heating into that 3 hour window.

We also did all the stuff mentioned in the 23/01 saving list like cooking,tumble drying,gym sessions moved to heat the garage gym etc, heated the hot water etc etc.

So it will be interesting to see what the payout is considering the up lift in payback per kWh from £2.50 and the fact it was 90 mins long compared to 60mins.
    Level 1
    I got the email yesterday to say I'd earned 30p for the 19th January. Just as well I'm not doing it for the money but to help with shifting usage.🤣